• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements you take?

Do you take supplements each day?

• Yes

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I used to but got bad reactions

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I believe we don't need them because of a good diet

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other (please give further info)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bertiedog

I would love to know how many of you take supplements each day and if so which ones you think give you benefit or alternatively which ones have caused you problems. (This will obviously involve you posting in this thread). The reason I am asking is that I think I probably take too many.

Please vote in my poll so we can see how popular supplements are in our community and if the consensus is that they are beneficial.

Thanks

Pam

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I like the idea of taking B-vitamins (which I don't), Beta-carotene (which I try to), and Vitamin C (this I do). I also like the idea of getting my nutrients from what I eat, which I've found to be valuable.

If I'm clever about what I eat. :_

NAD+ precursors have been effective. :D

Evidence
  • 2016, Treatment with the NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside (NR) rejuvenates stem cells, allowing better regeneration processes in aged mice. Beneficial for mitochondria, muscle stem cells, neural stem cells, melanocyte stem cells, and increased lifespan.[5]

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I tried some supplements since 2016, but with little success, e.g. B vitamins.

Only this year I figured out how to do it: I need to avoid some, and take (B5) - B7 - B2 - B1 (roughly in this order)

I also do sip these ones in this order: VitC - citrate (from lemon juice) - acetate (from vinegar) // (using a straw).

The success might depend on zinc sometimes and the combo GABA/Taurin/Tyrosin sometimes (500mg altogether only).

Obviously the core of my slow improvement since 2015 is an avoidance of manganese-rich food (I eat up to 800mcg)

It is still unclear to me if the non-manganese interventions are an acceleration, or only a help to feel "good"/good.

Probabaly two more things are needed in my case, I ´ll see.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I think that supplements have a dual value. The first is the obvious one, the second is that by tracking what you react to negatively, you can get clues about how, and where, this slimy little slip-toad of an illness affects you, personally, and from that info, possibly craft new and more effective ways to go after your particular symptomatology.

bertiedog

I know not many have responded yet but its interesting that so far 100% of us are using supplements. I didn't go into the reasons because I guess they are varied. Maybe we can do something with this at a later date.
BTW Thank you to those of you who have taken part so far.

Pam

Mary

Moderator Resource
@bertiedog - I'm markedly better than I was 12 years ago, due to supplements. I remember thinking very clearly in 2007 that I had 1 or 2 "good" days a month - days where I wasn't crashed or sick or detoxing or otherwise feeling like crap for unknown reasons. It's been a long slow process with a lot of reading and self-experimentation, and muscle testing, but I can now say that I very often have a couple of good days a week. Of course even with my good days I'm still limited to 3-1/2 - 4 hours of activity to avoid crashing, but still it's amazing to be able to feel so much better in between crashing. Afraid this will be sort of a long post!

1. BCAAs - gave me a nice chunk of my life back - my crashes now usually end after 1 day, instead of 3. They also help with energy.

2. Folate - increased energy. It also depleted potassium when I first started it, which was extremely helpful to discover because I'd had symptoms of low potassium (awful fatigue unrelated to PEM) but never knew what it was until I started folate

3. Potassium glycinate - before I started taking this would periodically have several days of feeling awful for no apparent reason. Well, I'm prone to low potassium DESPITE NORMAL BLOOD WORK (see https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ded-in-methylation-treatmt.18670/#post-291410 ) so this has made a huge difference for me

4. Thiamine - boosted my energy. Thiamine also depleted phosphorous (refeeding syndrome), which caused severe fatigue (different than low potassium) but this was helpful to discover too. I found that I have to take a phosphorous supplement about twice a week

5. Phosphorous - low phosphorous can cause severe fatigue - taking a supplement has made a big difference for me

6. betaine HCL with pepsin - before I discovered I had low stomach acid, my digestion was not good. My gallbladder and liver were both affected. betaine HCL with pepsin plus a liver detox has made a huge difference in my digestion, which is now quite good.

7. glycine - I used to have detox symptoms a large percentage of the time. They made me feel sick and woozy, spacey, my digestion would be off. I tried Andy Cutler's protocol with no apparent benefit. A far infrared sauna wiped me out for 3 days and so on. I reacted badly to anything that had "cleansing" properties (e.g., ACV, cayenne). It's a long story but I inadvertently discovered that glycine, which I started for sleep, apparently got my detox pathways working properly. Inositol and glutamine also helped a little, but glycine was the main thing that helped. I had to start with a very low dose and work up gradually over a period of about 6 months.

8. Magnesium - for sleep - VERY important

9. Melatonin, inositol, glycine, 5-htp, lemon balm - all help with sleep

10. lecithin - improved my memory

11. liquid methylcobalamin - helps with energy

12. P-5-P (B-6) - boosted energy

13. Vitamin K2 - I think it's helping my bones. I had to stop calcium because it was interfering with sleep but started K2 and a dexa scan showed I was doing as well as if not better than 3 years ago - after being off of calcium for a couple of years

14. Andrographis - big help to my immune system - I get less sick and recover more quickly. I think it also raised my NK cell function.

Things I reacted to badly:

1. B2 - I've tried taking it several times, and don't do well with it. I do take a B complex which has some B2 I do okay with, but can't take more than that.

2. Calcium - interfered with sleep

I used muscle testing a lot in figuring all this out. e.g., when I first took glycine, it hit me like a truck with an extremely strong detox reaction. I would have had to stop it altogether, only muscle testing indicated that it was good for me, but in a very small dose. And so I kept taking it and over a period of time was able to gradually increase it until I stopped having the detox reaction altogether, and also then stopped having detox reactions in general, which was huge - I had spent a large part of my life feeling crappy from toxins, but no more.

Muscle testing helped me figure out that thiamine was causing my phosphorous to tank, so I was able to keep taking thiamine. Otherwise I would have had to stop it because of the severe fatigue which hit after a couple of days.

I could go on, but won't ;)

ljimbo423

I would love to know how many of you take supplements each day and if so which ones you think give you benefit or alternatively which ones have caused you problems.

I just voted and 14 out of 14 people so far take supplements.:)

The supps that help me the most are antibacterial herbs for my gut, L-carnitine (just found out how much this helps in the last 2 weeks!), BCAA's, Alpha Lipioc Acid, Coq10, vitamin B-1 and 3 grams charcoal a day.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all of these help with neuro-inflammation from activated microglia, accept the charcoal, which soaks up toxins from the gut and the herbs that help kill the bacterial overgrowth in my gut.

I switched to L-carnitine from Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) a couple of weeks ago. Two or three times when I lowered the dose of ALC I got flu-like symptoms within 24 hours! So clearly Carnitine is helping me A LOT.

During the transition, my energy was MUCH lower that it has been. I am now taking 1,000mg a day of L-carnitne and my energy is just about where it was before I started to make the switch.

I continue to feel more and more confident that most of my symptoms are caused by brain inflammation from activated microglia. Hence the flu-like flares and lower energy, that coincided with my lowering my dose of ALC.

bertiedog

I continue to feel more and more confident that most of my symptoms are caused by brain inflammation from activated microglia. Hence the flu-like flares and lower energy, that coincided with my lowering my dose of ALC

That's great Jim that you have got this thing worked out. I had forgotten about activated charcoal - ran out about 6 month ago and haven't had any since but could definitely do with it at times because of my gut symptoms which have actually got hugely worse this year so much so I am seriously following a low FODMAP diet but finding it hard to ignore the odd Tikka or Korma meal, both of which are guaranteed to fire off SIBO/IBS and make it impossible to get to sleep at a reasonable time.

L Carnitine is one supplement that helps a lot with energy, even at just 250 mg with breakfast but my usual problem pops up and that is I am unable to get to sleep when taking it. The same thing can happen with Cordyceps which hugely helps my energy and sense of well being but its touch and go whether I can get to sleep so currently I am trying just half a capsule and notice a benefit with this too.

Pam

Wishful

Of the many supplements I tried, none worked well if I took them daily. If they had a positive effect, it would disappear after a few days or weeks. Iodine or T2 still work for me, but not if taken daily; once every 21 days works for me. All the other supplements that I still have, I take occasionally, since I have them, but they never have a significant effect.

ljimbo423

That's great Jim that you have got this thing worked out.

I don't know if I have this worked out yet but I do feel I have a good basic, very basic :), idea of whats happening with me. Although, treating my gut is monumentally harder than I thought it would be.

I had forgotten about activated charcoal - ran out about 6 month ago and haven't had any since but could definitely do with it at times because of my gut symptoms

I usually get a big increase in energy, about 30-60 minutes after I take 3 grams. Did you notice an increase in energy from charcaol? I'm thinking it's probably dose related. What dose were you taking of it?

L Carnitine is one supplement that helps a lot with energy, even at just 250 mg with breakfast but my usual problem pops up and that is I am unable to get to sleep when taking it.

Overstimulation from supps is a huge issue for me and limits what I can take of many supps. Both insomnia and overstimulation during the day become problems for me.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

? regarding the poll: the last option Other.

I take supplements, but also take "other". But can only chose one category.