• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supine position makes me feel worse, anyone else?

Emootje

When I lie down my nausea gets worse. I would like to know if anyone else experiences this as well. Does anyone have any ideas about the mechanism behind this? Does it have anything to do with perfusion of the gut?

Emootje,
I cannot lie flat for more than a few moments because my dysautonomia (dysfunctional autonomic nervous system) becomes worse and my wooziness increases. I use a wedge pillow to sleep.

You may want to try resting in a reclining position and see if your nausea stays the same or changes before trying to sleep that way.

Even though I am much better now, I still have to sleep using the wedge pillow. I hope this works for you!

Emootje

I had originally planned to lift one side of my bed (inspired by slide 38 from Peter Row's webinar)

naamloos..JPG

....but the wedge pillow is a much better plan.
Thanks Bayly! Great suggestion!

helsbells

Emootje,
I cannot lie flat for more than a few moments because my dysautonomia (dysfunctional autonomic nervous system) becomes worse and my wooziness increases. I use a wedge pillow to sleep.

You may want to try resting in a reclining position and see if your nausea stays the same or changes before trying to sleep that way.

Even though I am much better now, I still have to sleep using the wedge pillow. I hope this works for you!

Ditto Bayly - i can lie down with a pillow but often problems, panicky early morn etc plus when my gastritis at its worse, reflux, nausea etc - laying down totally flat without pillow always makes me sick

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I can't imagine having the BED inclined! WOW, scary

I sleep on several pillows, on my back. This is helpful for P.O.T.S./Dysautonomia. I get nausea sometimes at 3-4am. If so, I get a cold pack/ice pack and wrap it in a towel. It is wonderful.

rlc

what's being discribed here might be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo it's very common and can be treated, most people who have it only feel the effects of it briefly when they lay down but some people can be effected very badly by it, it can also cause nystagmus (involentary eye movement) which i've seen mentioned on this site here's alink about it http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/884261-overview a test for it is the romberg test, theres a video of how to do it somewhere on this site, and heres a link about it and other conditions that might be responsible for a failed resualt http://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/Ro...7FUNIQ7265a504ac24285-nowiki-0000000B-QINU.7F i would advise people to consult a doctor before doing this just in case, and deffinatly make sure there is someone with you in case you fall. A treatment for it is the Epley manouver once again i would advise consulting a doctor before trying it!!!!! this is a link to a video of how its done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QikUTAmeE0M&feature=related hope this helps all the best

Emootje,

I don't have enough money to buy a wedge pillow right now.
I s there an alternative using pillows or fold blankets or anything else?
Thanks

*GG*

I don't have enough money to buy a wedge pillow right now.
I s there an alternative using pillows or fold blankets or anything else?
Thanks

I would think you can adapt and use things to "make" your own wedge pillow. Perhaps you can shove these things into a pillowcase so it stays all together?

GG

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
River - Get someone to cut you (2 pcs) of wood approx. 4 to 6 inches long out of a 4x4 and put under legs of your headboard. I've used 4" high blocks for 25 years due to a small sliding hiatal hernia, but it is known that raising the head of the bead this way increases digestive motility and is accepted, at least by the 2 or 3 GI dtrs I've had, as being a healthier sleeping position than completely supine.

There are actually companies that custom make these blocks for people that prefer to be more fashion oriented. Some are hard plastic in many colors or made of wood and stained to your desired tint. I have also seen them at outlet stores (Anna's Linens, Big Lots and others....), but the intention of these are to raise the whole bed to make room for storage (so only use to to elevate one end).

JR