• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulphur

I got some Quantofix sulfate test strips and after testing my urine sulphur seems low.
How do I interpret that in the context of CBS/BMHT heterozygous?
Is being low in urinary sulphur a good thing, meaning that my sulphur pathway is good?

Wondering if I can move on to try methylation now.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I don't kow but logically I doubt it. All it means is you're not getting more than you can handle. It can potentially mean you are not getting enough sulfur. Now tell me if you make enough SAMe (there is a test for that somewhere) and then you'll know your sulfur pathway is good. Or you can guess if you know your homocysteine and carnitine levels (such aqs via www.lef.org).

SAMe? Would I be checking blood levels? How does that correlate understanding my ability to detox sulphur?

@maryb- yes I am in the US. I got the sulphur strips from amazon.com

caledonia

Yes, I would go ahead and try to move onto methylation supps. Start very low with only a fraction of a full dose to test the waters. Increase gradually as tolerated.

If you're getting a stress/anxiety response, you may have to go back and do CBS. The CBS issue may not crop up until you try to take methyl donors. I think that's what Triffid is saying too.

Star-Anise

Bloopy Buddy
Methyl donors are potentially any chemical substance that has a free methyl group that it can donate for methylation purposes. The major ones within our circles are: SAMe, methionine, methyl-B12, methyl-folate, coenzyme Q10, melatonin... those are the ones that come to mind.
Here's a list that has some that I'm not familiar with:
http://autoimmunethyroid.wordpress.com/2006/04/16/list-of-methyl-donors/

Also, I assume I should be staying away from sulphured supps:
NAC, Glutathione, MSM, ALA
Yes. From http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
Appendix II: Foods High in Sulfur(but please review Sulfites and Chronic Disease, by Rick Williams (available at the office or you can go to www.readingtarget.com/nosulfites)​
Dietary Sulfur Issues
Sulfur is necessary for many metabolic functions, but sulfur deficiency is rarely an issue, as most foods contain sulfur or sulfur containing compounds. Excess sulfur can be a problem for those with CBS, BHMT, and SUOX mutations – here one needs to avoid foods and supplements high in sulfur (sulfites and sulfates).
Supplements High In Sulfur
Taurine
Cysteine
Methionine
Glutathione
Glucosamine Sulfate
Chondroitin Sulfate and MSM
Epsom Salts
Magnesium Sulfate Cream
Canned meats, Aged game
Homemade yeast breads
DMSA and DMPS (Metal Chelators)
Milk thistle, Beyond C, and Heparin

Foods High In Sulfur
Vegetables:

Garlic, Onion Family
Kale
Collards
Pickles
Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Kohlrabi
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Bok Choy
Mizuna
Broccoli Rabe
Chinese Cabbage
Napa Cabbage
Turnip / Rutabaga
Canola / Rape Seeds; Greens
Mustard Seeds
Tatsoi
Radish
Daikon
Horseradish
Japanese Horseradish
Arugula
Watercress
Peas
Spinach

Fruits:

Raspberry
Cranberry
Currents
All Dried Fruit
Others:

Vinegar (especially if prepared from wine)

Alcohol Beverages (especially wine; not vodka - beer is less of an issue, especially German beer)
Soft Drinks
Animal Products
Dairy
Eggs
Brazil Nuts
Peanuts
Soy

All packaged and commercially prepared foods contain food additives, many of which contain sulfur; often this is not on the label. Organic foods are preferable here. Do not begin taking horsetail grass, spirulina, dandelion leaf, or parsley, as they contain low levels of sulfur. If they are already part of your protocol, you may continue taking them. Eliminate them only if having trouble turning your strips pink. Recognize that methionine and SAMe do contain sulfur, as do the sulfur containing amino acids taurine and cysteine. After strict sulfur elimination for 3 to 4 months you will have eliminated the deep stores of sulfur in your body. Thereafter, you can begin adding very small amounts of sulfur and ammonia producing products back into your diet, while watching your strips to be sure they stay pink.

caledonia

Actually the Free Thiol list works just as well and is less restrictive. Free thiols, not sulfur, per se, are the real issue. For example, I was taking large amounts of taurine and eating meat the whole time I was doing the CBS protocol and it still worked. See the link in my signature.

TMG, which people take for the BHMT pathway is also a methyl donor. TMG = tri methyl glycine.

Thanks for all the replies!

I am doing a metals challenge test today and took 2000mg DMSA.
This is a high sulphur compound. If I have sulphur problems would I feel any negative effects from this?
I don't seem to have any negative reaction going on.