• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulphur intolerance???

Sarah94

I've just realised I may be intolerant towards sulphur (sulfur).

I've been using transdermal magnesium sulphate for the last couple of weeks, and have just realised that taking more magnesium sulphate correlates with a worsening of symptoms the following day. My mum also mentioned to me yesterday that when I farted it smelled like sulphur!

According to my 23andme, I am heterozygous for one of the CBS genes, but normal for the others.

Does this sound like potentially a sulphur intolerance?

Can anyone link me to some good information about it? I am getting too overwhelmed by the Internet at the moment as my energy levels is very poor.

I have also been taking NAC for a few months - this is said to be a bad idea for people with sulphur issues - but haven't noticed any issue from it. But maybe NAC contains less sulphur compared with magnesium sulphate? Or maybe the beneficial effects of the NAC are disguising the bad effects of the sulphur.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

consider combinations too.. eg you may be okay taking one or the other thing but together it may have too much affect re sulphur.

Problems with sulphur is one of my 4 food issues but most of the time it is not noticable.

I found I felt queezy a few times after I'd eaten eggs though I'd always been okay with eggs before this. Then I started getting issues with beef and brocolli dish I often used to eat and figured out it was the brocolli which was giving me stomach aches. I also felt queezy if I ate too much garlic. At this point after researching what was in those foods I figured out it was the sulphur being my issue.

At this point I became sure I was homozygous for CBS genes causing the issue and sure enough then when I was tested I found out I was. My sulphur issue is only on occassions obvious to me but it was enough for me to stop having the beef and brocolli dish I used to make as when it did happen , it gave me quite a belly ache. I also now eat less eggs too.

I dont know if being heterozygous for one of the CBS genes can cause issues with that or not.