• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sugar and diet...

Questus

Have had CFS since 1985, and have tried many things over the years, as have most people reading this board.

Four years ago, I changed my diet dramatically. It has always been 'clean' with no junk food, packaged items, etc.

The change I made was to cut out all sugar. All of it. With the exception of a small amount of fresh fruit...I haven't had sugar in four years. (Or sugar substitutes)

I can say it's improved my overall function considerably. It did not happen right away...Took quite a while, but it's been worth it.

By omission, cutting out sugar also cuts out a lot of fat. My weight was low before, but I had to watch it. Now it stays the same without having to work at it.

People say, 'how can you not eat chocolate, or whatever' and I think 'if you had CFS, you'd do anything'....

This has been the most helpful thing I've done since Dr. Cheney prescribed Klonopin in 1986.

Good thoughts...

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I am pretty good with sugar, but not that good, ha. I HAVE to have Coke if I am nauseated. Or a good Gingerale drink. I don't eat a lot of candy and junk though. If we do not exersize which most of us can't with CFS, it is not good to have much sugar.

I have stopped Gluten and I hope that helps my POTS. That is much worse to deal with than my CFS, but both are improving thankfully with supplements.

I think it is good that you are not eating sugar. I do eat a lot of fruit for sure though. Fruits, veggies and good things full of vitamins, just not empty cals.