• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suga says he has never put Olympics first and that IOC has final say

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Suga says he has never put Olympics first and that IOC has final say

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said on Monday that he has never "put the Olympics first", the same day an opinion poll showed nearly 60% of people in Japan want the Olympics canceled less than three months before they begin.

Japan has extended a state of emergency in Tokyo until the end of May and is struggling to contain a surge in COVID-19 cases, raising further questions about whether the Games should go on. Its vaccination rate is the lowest among wealthy nations.

_w850.jpg

lenora

Well, this certainly doesn't sound promising. From what you wrote earlier, it seems the nurses are underpaid and overworked already. How can Japan possibly risk a massive outbreak b/c of the Olympics.

These are the Olympics...yes, they're important, but not as important as keeping masses of people alive. If 60% of the people want them postponed for another year, then that's what should be done. It's also worth noting that the Japanese population is composed of a lot of elderly, probably high risk patients. Seems rather silly to go ahead when the fire may be small, but still contained. I understand that Pfizer will provide vaccinations for all of the athletes, but what about the rest of the population? And yes, I feel for the athletes also...it's a problem. Yours, Lenora.