• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study pinpoints a protein that's a key regulator of body weight

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/medical/study-pinpoints-protein-key-regulator-body-weight/

"Through experiments on mice, the scientists found augmentor-alpha was most strongly expressed in a brain region called the hypothalamus, which plays a role in many important functions including regulation of temperature, stress response and metabolism. More specifically, the scientists found augmentor-alpha expressed in high levels in what are called agouti-related peptide (AgRP) neurons, which are known to promote hunger."

ME probably affects the hypothalamus, and the functions they mention are ones that some PWME complain about, so there might be a link.

I recall some people complaining about having a hard time gaining weight or losing weight; are these problems hunger-response related, metabolic-related?