• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study of 500,000 Medical Records Links Viruses to Alzheimer's Again And Again

SWAlexander

A study of around 500,000 medical records has suggested that severe viral infections like encephalitis and pneumonia increase the risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
Around 80 percent of the viruses implicated in brain diseases were considered 'neurotrophic', which means they could cross the blood-brain barrier.

"Strikingly, vaccines are currently available for some of these viruses, including influenza, shingles (varicella-zoster), and pneumonia," the researchers write.

"Although vaccines do not prevent all cases of illness, they are known to dramatically reduce hospitalization rates. This evidence suggests that vaccination may mitigate some risk of developing neurodegenerative disease."

Last year, a study of more than 10 million people linked the Epstein-Barr virus with a 32-fold increased risk of multiple sclerosis.

"After reading [this] study, we realized that for years scientists had been searching – one-by-one – for links between an individual neurodegenerative disorder and a specific virus," said senior author Michael Nalls, a neurogeneticist at the National Institute on Aging in the US.
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-...s-links-viruses-to-alzheimers-again-and-again

Maybe we take a look at this again from 2018.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ellar-purkinje-cells-in-mood-disorders.61479/

From another source:
1675093074954.png

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(22)01147-3

Last edited:

lenora

I can only say that after reading the number of causes, I'm a #1 candidate for either Parkinson's or Alzheimer's.

Yes, my memory isn't what it used to be but I can't say that I stop things for that reason. I still read a lot, watch TV, do laundry and don't want to hear of one more thing that I may get. It's not your fault, you're only reporting what you hear/read, but as we age we're bound to have some major problem. Since I'm working on a stroke, heart attack, have autoimmune encephalitis, epiplepsy (2 separate types) and severe osteoporosis and two other neurodenegerative diseases.....I have enough. I only see doctors to have my prescriptions filled....they can't do anything for me and I accept that with grace. I also take vitamins and supplements and have for way over 35 years. Please tell me a joke or a story of some sort.

Yes, I believe that a viral can cause what you brought up....but viruses can cause many harmful things (that we assume are gone, once they're over). I just want to keep my marbles, or maybe not. Wishing you good health (and I do, sincerely). Yours, Lenora