Study linking CFS/ME to abnormality in blood pressure regulation

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Yohimbine will raise blood pressure. People here on PR have tried it so you can do a search for more info. I tried it (while taking LDN) but my BP bounced all over the place. I then found a statement on a web site that it shouldn't be mixed with LDN or bouncy-BP might result.

I've been using cayenne to raise my BP a little. I usually can't stand for more than 45 minutes without OI symptoms forcing me to lie down for at least an hour before I can be upright again. Since I've been taking 1/2 tsp of cayenne 3x/day I've been able to stay upright for 90 minutes at times, and have more energy and stamina. Cayenne is a BP regulator so it can lower high BP or raise low BP.

I started at 1/8 teaspoon, then worked by 1/8ths every few days. At first it's hot going in, and hot coming out. Once the body adjusts it's still pretty warm in the mouth but not when exiting the body. I take it mixed in 4oz of cool water, then chase with a little more cool water. If it's taken with warm or hot water then the heat of the cayenne is amplified. The cayenne I use is Starwest 35K Heat Units which is supposed to be good for general health use.

Float

1/2 tsp of cayenne 3x/day I've been able to stay upright for 90 minutes at times, and have more energy and stamina.
HI @PatJ what great results! !
Thanks for sharing this.
I'm going to look up some science on it.
Do you think it would be okay to drop quarter tsp into an empty capsule and take it that way ? Would avoid heat in mouth etc..
Thank you ☺

kangaSue

I don't identify as having ME/CFS but I have hypotension in having Autonomic Neuropathy and had a similar drop in bp to those in this study during tilt testing. I also have a microvascular ischemic bowel problem (which is most likely tied to autonomic dysfunction too) and taking a nitrate med to increase blood flow to the bowel was contrary to expectation in also increasing my upright bp.

I see a few people here have mentioned having improvement in their ME/CFS symptoms from taking a nitrate or some sort of nitric oxide boosting supplement. Now that might also tie into some recent ME/CFS research that found issues of reduced red blood cell deformability and boosting NO production can improve your RBC deformability capabilities.

Boosting NO can also improve nerve blood flow too so maybe that helps with improved vagus nerve signalling too and this nerve has inputs into your cardiac regulation and bp function.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Do you think it would be okay to drop quarter tsp into an empty capsule and take it that way ? Would avoid heat in mouth etc..
Some people do it that way. Apparently starting it in the mouth and going down the throat is most effective and starts to influence BP right away.

Belbyr

I hope I am not speaking too soon but I have been feeling horrible the last 2.5 months. I think my elavil quit working and I might have been overdoing it (pushing through pain) leading up to my crash. I just recently got on low dose propranolol and have not had to get rushed to the ER anymore... I've been rushed to the ER 5 times in the last 2.5 months, til now.

I think I may have sympathetic over-action in my illness. My norepinephrine and dopamine levels are elevated in blood, and dopamine levels are elevated in urine but not the norepinephrine...

I am having to load more on the salt and water because of the lower BP though. I'm hyperadrenergic, now I feel a little on the low bp side when standing.

Float

FYI drug therapy for low BP - Ive seen Midodrine mentioned in several places and if the licorice and potassium fails me, ill ask for it.

I just started licoroce caps today, it says 2 a day on the bottle but i bet that isnt enough. Ill have to look up doses.

Ive been having salt and cayenne on all my foods, drinking some coffee, hydrating well.

Today i was woozy and could only lie down - was hard work to sit!! Its such a shame because since i started taking way more thyroid hormone, i feel like i have energy and I am certain (as you can be) that its the hypotension that is limiting me!!

Ive just had a very full on week and felt my body asking for rest a few days ago, which I couldnt because I had family staying, so I guess this bad hypotesion again (worse than general) is a clear indication I overdid it.

Im waiting for my holter monitor - i hope it tracks BP as well as heart rhythm but bet it doesnt :(

Good luck all x

kangaSue

Cayenne capsules are also a stimulant laxative that add to the efficacy of magnesium and I have made my own capsules this way but I only took the one as the bowel stimulation was way too effective for me.