• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

stretch

Shoshana

Northern USA
I like some of the "pouch" baby foods, but I am unable to open those round plastic, tightly fastened caps!

Any suggestions?

One of them with quinoa and apple, and bit of very mushed chicken, helps me slide down other foods or a tablet. Apple is the only fruit in it and though I cannot digest regular applesauce, I usually can do this one.

There is another flavor with sweet potato, I think, and ginger, that I was surprised but I can eat that one, too, but same problem with caps.

Ideas for tight caps that do not fit into a holder? I don't have the hand grip or strength.
@sunshine44 or others?

jesse's mom

@Shoshana are you talking about the jars, or the pouches?

Jars I have a magic trick. hold it tight as you can an bang them hard on the floor. you will pop the little air bubble in them and the top comes off like butter.

Pouches are impossible cut the corner and I let the baby use a straw.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Jars I have a magic trick. hold it tight as you can an bang them hard on the floor. you will pop the little air bubble in them and the top comes off like butter.

Also with jars if you have a bottle opener/church key you can wedge the point up under the lid rim and brace the rounded out part against the glass and gently rock the tip outward under the edge. Usually it only takes one try to get the lid air bubble to pop although sometimes I create a little divet (like raised braille) in the metal but it's in a place where it doesn't cause any future leak.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Thank you all for your ideas! @Judee @jesse's mom @sunshine44

I meant the pouches, I have become unable to open.
But with one of the ideas here, I used a big scissors with fat handles, and was able to cut off the whole top,
straight across,
and then, spoon out the contents, to eat it. Thankfully.

I thought you would like to know my update on it, and I wanted to thank you all, again too.
I will use some of those jar ideas, also, in the future.

My straws are too thin. To use for pureed food to go through. Would fat straws of some kind work?
But for now, those hints helped me a lot.