• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

strange thyroid stuff

cb2

HI
I have been on natural desicated thyorid for a while. my FT4 is always low on this stuff. I tried adding a tiny amount of synthetic T4 and i have been getting horrible diarrhea. which is strange becasue last year i was on T4/ and T3 synthethic and no diarrhea.

there are alot of different schools of thoughts on thyroid labs/levels and medication. i was hoping to try getting my ft4 up a bit to see if that helps at all.
these labs are at 2 grains at 18 hour post last medication. I have some labs at 3 grains too and ft4 was only a tad higher TSH was alot lower. ft3 was lowish too. .however when i do labs at 8 hours post my ft 3 levels look good. i am really at a loss here as to what to do next.
any help would be so appreciated. thank you !

FT4 .80(.82-1.77)
T4 DIRECT 6.1 (4.5-12.0)
T3 105(71-180)
TSH .031L

HI
I have been on natural desicated thyorid for a while. my FT4 is always low on this stuff. I tried adding a tiny amount of synthetic T4 and i have been getting horrible diarrhea. which is strange becasue last year i was on T4/ and T3 synthethic and no diarrhea.

there are alot of different schools of thoughts on thyroid labs/levels and medication. i was hoping to try getting my ft4 up a bit to see if that helps at all.
these labs are at 2 grains at 18 hour post last medication. I have some labs at 3 grains too and ft4 was only a tad higher TSH was alot lower. ft3 was lowish too. .however when i do labs at 8 hours post my ft 3 levels look good. i am really at a loss here as to what to do next.
any help would be so appreciated. thank you !

FT4 .80(.82-1.77)
T4 DIRECT 6.1 (4.5-12.0)
T3 105(71-180)
TSH .031L

Lowish free T4 might not be a problem. But you might have high thyroid binding globulin, which means lower free thyroid levels (fT3/4); excessive estrogen is one cause for this, for example. Aside from what most people say, (free) T4 does do a few peripheral things but mostly it's an inactive prohormone, the useless dad whose fT3 son is doing all the work (this being the main thyroid hormone). I wouldn't necessarily worry about the low fT4 numbers; people who supplement with T3-only (e.g., cytomel) end up dropping their fT4 numbers to pretty dang low because of the feedback loop T3 has with TSH.

Diarrhea is a sign of hyperthyroidism, but it could be other things.

barbc56

@cb2

Are you changing dosages under the supervision of an endocrinologist? Getting the right dosage can be tricky.

Good luck.

SuzieSam

I've just started out on the Natural Dessicated Thyroid Hormone journey and its a whole new world. Your Free T3 level is amazing. Please God by me. :thumbsup:

How long have you been on the T4 for? Maybe come off it and see if the diarrhoea stops? If not, it could be something else. Food intolerance or parasite...

cb2

@SuzieSam I have stopped the T4 and the diarrhea has slowed way down and coming to a stop.. thankfully!
i was thinking t3 might still be low? I am wishing you good thoughts with your NDT.

@barbc56 the endo i have been working with for quite some time isnt' really sure what to do next. I am seeing a new endo on tuesday- although i am learning they are more aware of dibeties that thyroid issues me thinks.
but yes been working with endo.. and even my lyme dr.. he is the one that made a change in Oct.. same change endo made end of 2015 that caused terrible diarrhea.. same change, same effect..

@Kierkegaard thanks for your reply.. was/ am really hoping to try to get the ft4 just to see if it helps, since it has been a missing factor for a while. maybe i will just need more NDT .. we'll see i guess.

cb2

thank you @Tammy I have heard it helps with conversion of T4 to t3 but didnt know about helping to make more T4? i wonder if seaweed works too? meeting with a new endo on tuesday i hope he has some good tricks up his sleeve.

SuzieSam

You're right about your T3 - I saw 165 instead of 105! Shows what a bad state I'M in :ill:. Yeah, it's meant to be in the top quartile, isn't it, so yours could do with getting a bit higher. You'd better do the sums... I'm clearly having a slight problem with numbers. :thumbdown:

I've also found that endocrinologists are all about diabetes, and know little about the far reaching problems of thyroid disease. Just take a pill!

Tammy

thank you @Tammy I have heard it helps with conversion of T4 to t3 but didnt know about helping to make more T4? i wonder if seaweed works too? meeting with a new endo on tuesday i hope he has some good tricks up his sleeve.
Helped my daughters T4 ALOT!

cb2

@SuzieSam my labs were drawn about 20hours after the last dose so i guess that makes things every more confusing.. ;) I am hoping this endo on tues is more thyroid and less diabeties.. time will tell.

@Tammy that is good news about T4 increasing with selenium, how much does she take and do you know how long it took to see effects? thanks alot! hope everyone is having a nice day!

Tammy

@Tammy that is good news about T4 increasing with selenium, how much does she take and do you know how long it took to see effects? thanks alot! hope everyone is having a nice day!
It was about 5yrs ago..so hard to remember.........but I think she started out with 200 mcgs and then increased to 400mcg's????........Sorry I don't remember how long it took to see effects.

cb2

dont worry @Tammy I appreciate your reply, if I stick with the Kpax vitamins i will get 200mcg a day, maybe I will add 100mcg just in case i forget to take 8 kpax, that's alot! I am glad it worked out ok for your daughter thanks for the great suggestion!