• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange taste in mouth

Sarah94

Sometimes when I'm in a crash (either due to overexertion, or to a different, unidentified factor), I experience an unpleasant taste in my mouth. This makes water taste rather unpleasant. It's weird. Does anyone else get this? And any ideas what could be causing it?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
If you could describe the taste then it would make it easier to narrow down possible causes. Is it metallic, sour, acidic, fruity, bitter, something else... ?

I don’t have a taste, but a smell: like something in the room has burned.
Years ago when it first started I tried to locate the burning item; nowadays I just say to my wife: it’s burning again :rolleyes:

I don't get direct taste effects but I get a vaguely metallic sense in my sinuses. Sometimes it's very metallic and generally goes with worse episodes, some anxiety/insomnia and other things.

For a time I thought I was copper toxic.

Now I understand that my condition is linked to gut issues and d-lactic acidosis.

IBD patients also experience metallic taste.

Just to let you know, lactic acidosis is listed as an acute condition, so there's all sorts of scary stuff about it if you start googling but this is not really the same. However it may well be that metabolites like lactic acid are playing a role in the fatigue and the results are not behaving in an acute way.

There seems to be a subset of CFS sufferers who have this rare disorder.

But I'm new here so please take everything I say with a pinch of salt ;)

ummm, you've tasted battery acid?:D

a metallic taste....can happen when one is detoxing..or losing weight.

haha, exactly, how do you describe something like that? it just tastes... almost lemony metal, but it's in sinuses more than anything.

Thanks for the heads up, I link it to the gut issues/d-lactic acidosis but the detoxing is probably a really good point. My liver clearly gets overworked in this phase. Prickly skin and lots of other signs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgeusia is listed among the wide array of symptoms of different types of acidosis although it's not listed in the wiki as a cause. Liver issues are listed in the wiki.

I also have Gilbert's syndrome, so liver can be a large part of it but in general in terms of root cause it's been related to probiotic intake, sugar and carbs intake and anything gut health based for me.

Just for some context the primary reason I joined the forum was this thread:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/d-lactic-acidosis-in-cfs.6782/

Best wishes

panckage

I get some gross taste in my mouth on crash days. As you mentioned it makes water taste gross. Food tastes gross in general like this. Brushing my teeth doesn't help - the disgusting taste is still there. Mint gum helps hide the taste but that's about it

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
It makes
Sometimes when I'm in a crash (either due to overexertion, or to a different, unidentified factor), I experience an unpleasant taste in my mouth. This makes water taste rather unpleasant. It's weird. Does anyone else get this? And any ideas what could be causing it?

Disgusting taste perception is termed dysgeusia. Considering that other peripheral nerves are involved in SEIDs (photosensitivity, noise intolerance) I would lean toward it being an effect of viral peripheral nerve infection.

Here's a detailed article on it.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784121