• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange smell of the hands

Dude

Hi friends,

I have a somewhat strange question. At the beginning of my illness, about a month before I felt any of the typical CFS symptoms, my hands started to smell strange. They smelled very strongly like garlic, although I had neither eaten nor cooked anything in that direction. At first I thought I was only imagining it, but my wife confirmed the very penetrating smell. I could not wash it off. I remember it lasting about 2 weeks. I was a bit worried at that time, because I suspected that something was wrong with my body (oh boy, should i be right). I never had this before and never had it again. I wonder to this day, if this is somehow related to CFS? I could not find anything on the Internet about the smell and certainly not related to CFS. But maybe someone has experienced something similar?

Greeting Lukas

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
A lot of us develop sensitivities to sulfur/thiol based foods and supplements. Your comment makes me wonder if that happens because this disease throws our phase I and II liver detox off even more. Your body may have been having a hard time clearing sulfur.

https://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/
https://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/sulfates_sulfation_feingold/
https://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/liver-detox-pathways/

The second link mentions, "These foods need to be sulfated in the liver phase 2 pathways. The reason for avoiding foods that require sulfation, when you are low sulfate, is to conserve the little sulfate that you do have and thereby prevent them from ‘backing up’ in the liver, waiting to be processed and cause problems."

Note that the fonts on that website are really bad. I can actually barely read some of them so I copy and paste it into a Word document.

linusbert

- Trimethylaminurie
- Helicobacter pylori
- Medication / supplements containing sulfur
- Alcohol
- Diabetes, high blood sugar

Dude

The theory with the liver makes sense. Right after that i had strange yellow stool for a while. Which i first thought i had some kind of liver inflammation. Such a strange illness, i hope some day they can uncover every process thats behind it.

Seadragon

In the first few weeks of my illness, I noticed that the palms of my hands seemed very slightly yellow.
I have positive Anti Smooth Muscle Antibody and weak positive ANA.
Have you had blood tests done by a doctor to rule out, for example, problems with your liver or kidneys? @Dude

Dude

In the first few weeks of my illness, I noticed that the palms of my hands seemed very slightly yellow.
I have positive Anti Smooth Muscle Antibody and weak positive ANA.
Have you had blood tests done by a doctor to rule out, for example, problems with your liver or kidneys? @Dude
Yea, i made every possible test at that time. Since i had a Medical Private Insurance, which is a huge deal here. Like PET Scan, Calprotectin, ultrasound of the organs, colonoscopy, every blood test i can imagine,
rheumatism. It was so obscure, that despite the clear CFS symptoms, not a single doctor suggested it.

A lot of us develop sensitivities to sulfur/thiol based foods and supplements. Your comment makes me wonder if that happens because this disease throws our phase I and II liver detox off even more. Your body may have been having a hard time clearing sulfur.

https://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/
https://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/sulfates_sulfation_feingold/
https://livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/liver-detox-pathways/

The second link mentions, "These foods need to be sulfated in the liver phase 2 pathways. The reason for avoiding foods that require sulfation, when you are low sulfate, is to conserve the little sulfate that you do have and thereby prevent them from ‘backing up’ in the liver, waiting to be processed and cause problems."

Note that the fonts on that website are really bad. I can actually barely read some of them so I copy and paste it into a Word document.
If there is an issue with sulfur metabolism (or specifically detoxing sulfites which build up from sulfur metabolism), it likely requires molybdenum to make the SUOX enzyme works.

Judee

it likely requires molybdenum to make the SUOX enzyme works.
The only thing is for some reason I cannot handle molybdenum. (I think I've read of some others who have said that as well.)

I don't know why. I would love for it to work but molybdenum just makes me feel worse even still. :(

Any ideas?

Edit: The only thing that has helped me be able to tolerate more sulfur/thiols was 1-2 years on antibiotics for possible Lyme co-infections. The antibiotics improved some other things for me as well...just not the ME/CFS.

But now after trying the thiamine protocol for a couple months, I cannot tolerate sulfur/thiols again. :(

The only thing is for some reason I cannot handle molybdenum. (I think I've read of some others who have said that as well.)

I don't know why. I would love for it to work but molybdenum just makes me feel worse even still. :(

Any ideas?

Edit: The only thing that has helped me be able to tolerate more sulfur/thiols was 1-2 years on antibiotics for possible Lyme co-infections. The antibiotics improved some other things for me as well...just not the ME/CFS.

But now after trying the thiamine protocol for a couple months, I cannot tolerate sulfur/thiols again. :(
Molybdenum directly antagonizes copper, that's one idea.

When my copper was very low (serum copper and ceruloplasmin actually measuring below range), I felt horrendous. A heavy dullness + lethargy + moodiness, affecting both physical energy and brain energy. Copper is required for cytochrome oxidase C (sp?) to make energy in mitochondria, along with having a role in methylation and adrenaline.

Might be worth looking into. Check revealingfraud.com or the Copper Revolution group on FB: that guy's protocol is to take liquid copper sulfate, beginning around 5mg but up to 30mg. (If. you try this, I recommend putting it in capsules and taking with a cup of milk. Otherwise it tastes disgusting and is severely nauseating.)

I know the B1 protocol requires some strong support or it can deplete things. I haven't really done the B1 protocol, but did make a list when I was studying it. Elliot Overton also has a thorough PDF for this protocol.
  • Potassium (Mine constantly depletes, which shies me away from B1. I use a sports drink called Krampade to get 1g+ doses.)
  • Sodium
  • Magnesium (Fun fact: Mg never worked for me until taking boron and taurine!)
  • B2 (Which can be directly depleted by B1 apparently.)
  • And might need an overall B-complex
I also have a note that molybdenum requirements diminish proportional to boron. My boron experiment isn't advanced enough yet to validate this, but it might make sense, as I suspect low boron has been the core of several issues which looked like different issues, and once upon a time I did not need to take molybdenum weekly to keep sulfites at bay.

Violeta

Any ideas?

@Judee, what happens when you eat sulfur foods or take thiamine? And which thiamine did you use?

Judee

@Judee, what happens when you eat sulfur foods or take thiamine? And which thiamine did you use?
Migraines.

Also the thiamine protocol physically aged me. I could see it...hair going much more grey, face looking about 15 years older, ME/CFS fatigue about 4x worse and it wasn't improving.
I've never had anything I've tried do that before. All I can think was the thiamine protocol was creating too many ROS in me.

It's funny though because I discovered years ago if I take a 500mg thiamine and a 100mg Riboflavin only about once every other month, it will turn a lot of the grey hair back to dark brown. (shrug)
(Not promising it will work that way for everyone though.)

I still get the headache when I take it so seldom but it's nice not needing to dye my hair...not that I would anyway. Too many chemicals. Plus, trying to stay ahead of the roots showing through is a pain.

Edit: I tried all of the thiamines...hcl, monohydrate, coenzymated, ttfd...is there another kind that I'm forgetting?

...I think I tried it...even making the ttfd topical. No dice.

Edit #2: I remembered...Benfotiamine...yep...tried that one too. :)

Last edited: