• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strain Sifter Tool Links "Hospital-Acquired Infections" to Patient's Microbiome

Gemini

A new "Strain Sifter" test can determine if a "hospital-acquired infection" is caused by the patient's own microbiome.

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2018/...infections-traced-to-patients-own-microbiome/

Developed by Ami Bhatt and researchers at Stanford University, this new computational tool can match DNA from a patient's bloodstream bacterial infection to DNA from his/her stool sample.

Importantly, use of this tool has traced 1/3 of "hospital-acquired infections to the patient's microbiome as opposed to the hospital environment..

Would "Strain Sifter" interest ME/CFS researchers studying "leaky gut" like Maureen Hanson or researchers at Stanford? Thoughts @JaimeS?

JaimeS

A new "Strain Sifter" test can determine if a "hospital-acquired infection" is caused by the patient's own microbiome.

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2018/...infections-traced-to-patients-own-microbiome/

Developed by Ami Bhatt and researchers at Stanford University, this new computational tool can match DNA from a patient's bloodstream bacterial infection to DNA from his/her stool sample.

Importantly, use of this tool has traced 1/3 of "hospital-acquired infections to the patient's microbiome as opposed to the hospital environment..

Would "Strain Sifter" interest ME/CFS researchers studying "leaky gut" like Maureen Hanson or researchers at Stanford? Thoughts @JaimeS?

Yeah, I'll bet it has traced 1/3 of patients' infections to being the patients' fault.

If they've had bowel surgery, it doesn't really matter if the infection is also found in the bowel.

This reads like an industry attempt to be sued 1/3 less often. I'm sure the researchers at Stanford have hit the jackpot.

Given the context, I'd have to talk to someone with expertise in the microbiome before I believed it would actually deliver accurate results.