• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Starting helminthic therapy for CFS, log

Hello, there. I've done quite a bit of damage with traditional drugs and I decided to put that madness in neutral for a bit.

Today I fly to receive worms (20 necator americanus) at great expense. I suspect it will make me worse to begin with but I'll definitely update if I get better.

If this works, I am going to hand in my "understanding the immune system" card. I avoid the internet for long periods of time, so please understand if I am unable to update.

As for my profile, I have had traditional sudden-onset CFS for six years. My activity score is probably 45.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Good luck to you! Please let us know how this works when you get a chance.

This was a new one for me, I copied an excerpt from wikopedia below:

Helminthic therapy, a type of immunotherapy, is the treatment of autoimmune diseases and immune disorders by means of deliberate infestation with a helminth or with the ova of a helminth. Helminths are parasitic worms such as hookworms and whipworms.

Helminthic therapy consists of the inoculation of the patient with specific parasitic intestinal nematodes (helminths). There are currently three closely related treatments available. Inoculation with Necator americanus,[1] commonly known as hookworms, or Trichuris suis ova (TSO),[2] commonly known as pig whipworm eggs, or inoculation with Trichuris trichiura ova,[1] commonly referred to as human whipworm eggs.

Current research and available therapy is targeted at, or available for, the treatment of Crohns disease, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), multiple sclerosis, asthma, eczema, dermatitis, hay fever and food allergies.

Helminthic infection has emerged as one possible explanation for the low incidence of autoimmune diseases and allergies in less developed countries, together with the significant and sustained increase in autoimmune diseases in industrialized countries.

years ago I watch a program on this too long ago for much detail but I was struck by the Narrator/commentator who ingested worms, He had serious hayfever/flower allergy but after ingesting the worms he was able to stand in a greenhouse full of flowers.

Lala

So, how do you feel? Are you better or how quickly is the treatment supposed to work?

Dainty

I'll be following your log with fascination. It's something I'e known about for years and kept in my "might try someday" category for a while now.

Question: where did you have it done?

I'll be starting a blog soon. I had this completed in Tijuana, Mexico. It took about 10 seconds, and a two-hour border wait. We just went over, I put the sticker on, walked to customs. This is no scam, I felt the worms borrowing in my skin within 2 minutes. If it is, it's a highly mechanical scam. I'm his first CFS patient, a 24 y/o male sudden onset mono 6.5 years ago.

It's been 3 days since inoculation. From 2-24 hours, I felt 20% improved. I have gone back to baseline. The worms life cycle is highly variable, so it's important not to over-exert myself. I've been able to reduce sleep and time in bed. I'm now experiencing the allergic and asthma symptoms when the worms enter the tract, just increased post nasal drip really.

At week 3, GI symptoms will begin. My treatment person said that I would have honeymoon periods with feeling better. I have found this to be the case. If I only receive a 10% improvement, it will be good. The improvements are mental, not physical. In fact, I may trade off. Since I'm able to walk but not work, this treatment is beneficial. I remember walking to the post office and thinking, I almost feel normal today. Wait, what does normal feel like?

When I post the blog, I'll tell you which company I completed this with. I need to ask their permission first. The FDA does not take kindly to helminthic therapy.

ramakentesh

fascinating work. Ofcourse helminthic therapies success would suggest that CFS has a primary autoimmune basis. Something I personally believe.

determined

I agree with you Ramakentesh.

Perovyscus, I'd love to read your blog but the black background makes it impossible for me to read. Does anyone know if there is a way around this?

I'm discontinuing on Sunday. This is about 1.5 months less than patients should to determine an adequate result. I wanted to keep it positive, so I declined to update further. The reason is I've worsened my ability score about 20 points.

A) I didn't expect it to work, it was a hail mary.
B) I don't want to discourage folks from trying it who have severe asthma, MS or Crohn's.

Anyways, on to Ampligen or Valcyte, hopefully both.

Determined, you can copy and paste the text into a Word document.

liquid sky

Hey, sorry it did not work. Glad you have other options in mind. Hope we have real treatments approved soon.