• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stanford researchers may have answer to why COVID patients develop 'brain fog'

RL_sparky

https://abc7news.com/health/stanford-researchers-may-have-answer-to-treat-covid-brain-fog/10828320/

Working with a team in Germany, they found that the virus triggers brain inflammation, which leads to symptoms similar to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

"Researchers at Stanford Medicine collaborated with counterparts at Germany's Saarland University. An analysis of brain tissue from eight patients showed inflammation that creates brain fog or cognitive decline, similar to symptoms of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's."

"I think it will be interesting and important to figure out whether this inflammation could actually be targeted or treated and where the inflammatory, anti-inflammatory treatments could help alleviate some of these symptoms," said Prof. Tony Wyss-Coray PhD, whose lab had 20 researchers engaged in the project.

Last edited:

pattismith

https://abc7news.com/health/stanford-researchers-may-have-answer-to-treat-covid-brain-fog/10828320/

Working with a team in Germany, they found that the virus triggers brain inflammation, which leads to symptoms similar to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

"Researchers at Stanford Medicine collaborated with counterparts at Germany's Saarland University. An analysis of brain tissue from eight patients showed inflammation that creates brain fog or cognitive decline, similar to symptoms of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's."

Do you have access to the study? I am curious how they had brain tissue samples from living patients.

Helen

A study from the Sahlgren hospital in Sweden, not yet published, showed that the brain damage from Covid 19 heals in 3-6 months after the infection. It seems like the severe inflammation, not the coronavirus, is causing the damage. Professor Magnus Gisslén conducted the study, and he presented the results shortly on the radio today. I belive this is good news also for PWME.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

A study from the Sahlgren hospital in Sweden, not yet published, showed that the brain damage from Covid 19 heals in 3-6 months after the infection. It seems like the severe inflammation, not the coronavirus, is causing the damage. Professor Magnus Gisslén conducted the study, and he presented the results shortly on the radio today. I belive this is good news also for PWME.
Maybe that's why some recover after a successful anti-pathogenic treatment?!

Helen

Maybe that's why some recover after a successful anti-pathogenic treatment?!
Sure, at least that is what I belive from my own and others experiences. The first time I was totally free from brain fog and all other symptoms for some hours, was after a course of Azithromycin. Later I learnt that Azithromycin is also anitviral, which might have been the reason why it helped, and no other antibiotics I had been prescribed for a verified Lyme infection did. Other anti-pathogenic treatments have had the same effect on me.

Last edited:

Strawberry

Id include MS in that list. When my brain fog and memory was at its absolute worst (I couldn’t remember my phone number or address and got lost in very familiar territory a few times), I’d say my symptoms were Alzheimer’s plus MS. But at that time I could stand and do some cleaning.

If they found out why we have no energy. Brain inflammation is not that surprising for me.

Right???!!! It’s a start though.