• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Spain approves euthanasia for incurable, intolerable illness

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The only thing is if your other post is true what if someone with ME/CFS chooses to do this and a few days later, they announce a way to cure this?

Other diseases could be close to a cure too, don't you think? They were just talking about a cure for Alzheimer's called ISRIB.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

leokitten

The only thing is if your other post is true what if someone with ME/CFS chooses to do this and a few days later, they announce a way to cure this?

So far in the history of medicine it’s extremely rare that there’s some sudden discovery where we very quickly go from nothing to cure or successful treatment of complex immune system or brain diseases.

Regardless of that, I believe all lives should have the right to full self determination. For example, if you don’t want to do anything with your life and have zero purpose so be it. If you are suffering from an intolerable, painful, and untreatable disease you should have the right to choose to not want to live through it, no matter what the future holds.

hapl808

Other diseases could be close to a cure too, don't you think? They were just talking about a cure for Alzheimer's called ISRIB.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

They've been talking about a cure for Alzheimers for…longer than I can remember.

Of course it's agonizing to make any determination of hopelessness, but everything in life is a guessing game. Why get surgery if the world might end tomorrow in a nuclear cataclysm. We all just play the odds the best we can. Always interesting to me that people put down their supposedly beloved pets but their family members must suffer until the bitter end (or in the US, until they run out of insurance coverage).