• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sources for BH4?

Swim15

The only one I’ve found so far is nootropic source but was curious if anyone knew any other ways/places to get it?

Seems like it could very easily address a lot of CFS issues and surprised I haven’t seen more people try it.

I ordered from NS and will be trying this weekend but it’s a very unstable compound and wanted to see if there were any other sources in case the results aren’t what I expect

Learner1

@Swim15 You can buy Kuvan from a specialty pharmacy. 10mg daily ran about $150 per month when I last looked. There are now 2 generics that just came on the market, from Par and one other. Hopefully the price will come down. They all should be more stable than the supplement.

The drug was also slightly cheaper than the research chemical or supplement, per milligram.

If you have mutations on GCH1, QDPR, PTS or PCBD1 genes or high phenylalanine and low tyrosine on a amino panel, you might be able to convince your insurance to pay for it.

helios

@Swim15 You can buy Kuvan from a specialty pharmacy. 10mg daily ran about $150 per month when I last looked. There are now 2 generics that just came on the market, from Par and one other. Hopefully the price will come down. They all should be more stable than the supplement.
Gee that's a lot more affordable than I thought. I looked it up and in my country its limited to just those who have PKU due to the cost being over $50k / pa. I'm not sure what dosage a PKU patient requires though. I thought I saw Kuvan tablets at 100mg

Learner1

Gee that's a lot more affordable than I thought. I looked it up and in my country its limited to just those who have PKU due to the cost being over $50k / pa. I'm not sure what dosage a PKU patient requires though. I thought I saw Kuvan tablets at 100mg
Well, I would expect it's more expensive in the US just like every other pharmaceutical. I get it in 100 mg powder packets, then mix them two at a time in an eyedropper bottle with 20 ml of water, then eye dropper out my dose each morning under my tongue, where I leave it for about 4-5 minutes before going on with my day. I feel an immediate, positive clearing in my temples and eyes, and sharper thinking, and better energy.

look up l-sepiapterin, it's a bh4 precursor and it was shown to be more effective than bh4 itself at raising blood levels of bh4. I didn't find a source to buy from. If you could organize a group buy from a chemical synthesis company, I would be in.

Learner1

look up l-sepiapterin, it's a bh4 precursor and it was shown to be more effective than bh4 itself at raising blood levels of bh4. I didn't find a source to buy from. If you could organize a group buy from a chemical synthesis company, I would be in.
Kuvan IS Sapropterin hydrochloride. All the forms of BH4 were slightly more expensive than Kuvan last time I looked, including the research chemical. And Kuvan and the new generics are stabilized, which is important if you want it to work, which the other forms are not.

Swim15

Dosage is 10mg/kg or 1g/ day for a 100kg person

No sure if srs...dose for something like CFS would be 10mg a few times per week. That might be the dose used in animal studies but that isn’t the same human dose

Learner1

That's for patients with full-blown PKU, which is genetic and typically quite noticable in childhood.

With that said, there are different genes affecting either the production of BH4 or the recycling of it to different degrees, including QDPR, PTS, PCBD1, and GCH1.

Additionally, there is the possibility that BH4 is used at different rates in different patients due to other genetic or environmental factors.

At 10mg a day, Kuvan has been running about US$150 a month (not sure if the new generic had made it any cheaper). Ay your dosing, @jaybee00 it would mean 500-800mg for an adult woman or US$7,500-12,000.

Ecological Formulas Pteridin-4, which is not stabilized and must be shipped cold, and comes in 2.5 mg capsules, so that would be taking 200-320 capsules a day. Irs out of stock a lot and purchases are typically limited to a single 60 capsule bottle at a time. If you could get it, it would be $9,480-15,168 a month.

After starting at 10mg Kuvan per day, then switching to 20mg after I found that I was crashing mid afternoon, I've found that 20mg a day works just fine, and my insurance covers it.