• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sound of a wild snail eating

Bailey, author and CFS patient for many years has written a new book:

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey

Available in the United States on August 24th.
Available in the United Kingdom on September 23rd.

"It is a great pleasure for me to encourage everyone to buy and read this book. While it seems trite to say, this book really is a triumph of the human spirit. If you thought you understood something about ME/CFS, read this and it is possible you will realize that you understood very little. I learned huge amounts and want to give a copy of [The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating] to the family of every patient I have ever had. The writing is magnificent."
Dr. David Bell, Lyndonville News, Volume 7, Number 2, August 2010

Bedridden by illness, Bailey is given a pot of violets which includes, under a leaf, a wild woodland snail. As Bailey's engaging narrative unfolds, she tells the story of her encounter with her unexpected roommate, a Neohelix albolabris or common woodland snail. The snail takes up residence on her nightstand and an unusual interspecies relationship ensues. Bailey becomes intrigued by the snails molluscan anatomy, cryptic defenses, clear decision making abilities, hydraulic locomotion, and mysterious courtship activities. An astute and amused observer, Bailey offers an unexpected and entertaining look at the curious life of this underappreciated small animal. The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating is a remarkable journey of survival and resilience and Bailey shows us how the natural world can illuminate our own human existence.

A Snail Page Turner!

Attachments

• wild snail eatin&#10.jpg
    wild snail eatin&#10.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 20

Rrrr

THIS BOOK LOOKS WONDERFUL!!! i suggest we all buy it to support this writer with CFS.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
On the US Amazon site, you can read the first few pages, here. It's excellent - from the blurb, I didn't think it would be my kind of thing (I'm not very contemplative!) but I was reallly taken with it.

There's a kindle edition as well.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I've just read the extract on Amazon and it is wonderful!!!! So well written and so easy to read. She expresses profound thoughts with such ease and elegance she almost makes them seem obvious. This is definitely one to buy...

BEG

I've just read the extract on Amazon and it is wonderful!!!! So well written and so easy to read. She expresses profound thoughts with such ease and elegance she almost makes them seem obvious. This is definitely one to buy...

This would be a great choice for the Book Group. Stay tuned . . . New members always welcome. Thanks, kmpfeiffer.

ixchelkali

I read the Amazon excerpt last week and it's on my wish list. I really look forward to reading it. But it's nice to hear Dr Bell's recommendation. Thanks for posting it.

jspotila

The author was interviewed by Scott Simon on NPR over the weekend (I haven't listened to it yet), and it sounds like she has several dx - CFS, mitochondrial disease, and/or something else I'm not remembering. The book sounds fabulous, and would be great for book group.

ballard

Just finished "Sound of a Wild Snail Eating." I will never look at a woodland snail quite the same way after reading this inspiring book.

I think anyone with CFS would gain strength and hope from this book. This book needs to be recorded so that people who are bed-bound and unable to read (like the author) will be able to enjoy this true story.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I just got it in the mail today. I am half way through it. I will save it to read at my doctor's appt. Great book. I didn't know she also had POTS. Just like me, love this book.

BEG

The Book Group is now reading, The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating written by Elisabeth Tova Bailey.

New members are always welcome in the Book Group! Don't miss the opportunity to discuss this book with your peers. Also, show your support for the forum by shopping Amazon right here. Thanks, all!

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Glad everyone is reading the book. I finished it a couple of days ago. I read slowly so it would last longer, ha. So good. I really saw myself in her CFS and POTS. I really found the snail info interesting.