• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore tailbone anyone?

Violeta

Hi Violeta, I wasn't sure if your reply (above) was meant for me since you quoted me, vs. in general, but in my case, I have never drank raw milk and I have had this Vit D deficiency since I was first tested (probably in my 20's or 30's). I didn't learn until later that I had the VDR Taq mutation (or SNP?) on 23andMe until my early 40's when I was getting sick with this illness.

I also have overall problems with malabsorption from MCAS since histamine makes the membranes more permeable. But my MCAS is completely controlled, and basically in remission at this point, so I am not sure how big of a factor it is. But unless I take 10,000 IU's of Vit D per day, I cannot maintain a blood level above 30 (using the US scale which I know differs from the UK scale).

I also supplement with Vit C, Hydroxo B-12/Folinic Acid, Iron, and Potassium (in case this is relevant). But I haven't changed anything since waking up every morning now with this low back pain in my tailbone area. I have been doing stretches but it doesn't seem to help.

My understanding of the Calcium Channels is very poor but in case this is relevant, I have an autoantibody that attacks the N-type calcium channels. Because of this, neurologists told me that I should not take anything that is a calcium channel blocker (including magnesium) but that it is okay for me to take calcium. The calcium channels in my case are the voltage gated ion channels and I am not sure if they have anything to do with calcium being deposited in bones and teeth. I wish some day that I could understand all of this better.

Hi Gingergrrl, yes, my reply was meant for you. I just mentioned the raw milk because that was how I raised my Vitamin D levels and then calcium levels, too. I was probably deficient for a long time, mainly because of lack of both in my diet. So I just meant that raising Vitamin D levels and increasing calcium absorption brings out a need for more silica. I just mentioned it as a possibility, it is true for me but might not be true for you.

You could try homeopathic silica or a good brand of silica to see if it helps.

My understanding of calcium channels is probably worse than yours.

Have you ever taken Vitamin K2? I don't know if it works through calcium channels or not, but still wondering if it might help.

Do you have dental problems?

How did you get the MCAS problem under control?

One more edit in: I just looked at selfhacked.com's article about vitamin d, and I see that SIRT1 helps with the vitamin d receptor. And because of recently starting two forms of niacin (my brother had good luck with tru niagen and we are genetically similar) I have read that niacin helps with SIRT1.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I think phosphorus is a factor for me, too. I don't know how to explain that yet. Have you ever had very obvious Vitamin C deficiency? Vitamin C deficiency causes wasting of phosphorus,
Hmmm I think Inositol might be involved, but I think only @aaron_c could explain this stuff to us.

All I know regarding Inositol and Calcium, is that Inositol keeps Calcium inside the cells. I get horrible bone pain if I supplement with Myo-Inositol, but eating high inositol foods is good for me (white beans, oranges). Rye and wheat used to be good sources, but unfortunately they are poison for me now.

Violeta

Hmmm I think Inositol might be involved, but I think only @aaron_c could explain this stuff to us.

All I know regarding Inositol and Calcium, is that Inositol keeps Calcium inside the cells. I get horrible bone pain if I supplement with Myo-Inositol, but eating high inositol foods is good for me (white beans, oranges). Rye and wheat used to be good sources, but unfortunately they are poison for me now.

I wonder if the inositol that is in that one form of niacin would work? Niacin does have something to do with calcium channels. (Inositol. Hexanicotinate)

Gingergrrl

Hi Gingergrrl, yes, my reply was meant for you. I just mentioned the raw milk because that was how I raised my Vitamin D levels and then calcium levels, too. I was probably deficient for a long time, mainly because of lack of both in my diet. So I just meant that raising Vitamin D levels and increasing calcium absorption brings out a need for more silica. I just mentioned it as a possibility, it is true for me but might not be true for you.

Thank you so much for clarifying @Violeta and I was not sure if your reply was specific to me. Were you able to raise your Vit D levels through supplements or only through drinking raw milk? I eat a lot of dairy products, in addition to supplementing 10,000 IU's per day of Vit D (Doctor's Best D3) and yet my Vit D levels remain around 30 on tests. My doctor's had wanted me to have the level at least 60 but I am not able to attain it.

I was also not sure, how does the low vitamin D level relate to the lower back & tail bone pain? In my case, even when my Vit D level was around "4" or "8", I did not wake up with this tail bone pain every morning so I am not sure if it is related for me (but it might be and I am not understanding the connection).

My understanding of calcium channels is probably worse than yours.

I doubt that ;)

Do you have dental problems?

For the majority of my life (40+ years) I did not have dental problems but at present, I have several minor cavities that need to be filled. I have not been able to do it yet b/c the risk of reacting to the materials is too high for me (b/c of MCAS). I have a thread about this and I saw a holistic dentist who recommended Ozone & Remineralization treatment (instead of getting fillings b/c the cavities were still minor).

Then I did research which said that Ozone was not safe in patients like me who have autoimmunity, Hashimoto's Disease, and myasthenic/muscle diseases. They wanted me to do this "Clifford Test" which I still might do in the future and schedule a consult to discuss my options (Ozone vs. getting porcelain fillings which are least likely to trigger allergic reaction) but I have not had a chance to follow up. Sorry for the long-winded answer!

How did you get the MCAS problem under control?

The treatment that put my MCAS into remission was IVIG. But prior to that, I had to move from a rental with toxic mold, get rid of my belongings, and begin MCAS meds. Getting away from the mold and getting on the right MCAS meds stopped the acute anaphylaxis but it was not until IVIG that it went into remission. But I still have to avoid food dyes, contrast dyes, certain meds, dental materials, etc, to be safe.

Violeta

@Gingergrrl , your problem may be different than mine, but my problem from the milk/dairy was from more calcium, which for some reason made me need more silica. So it's actually a silica problem. You can look at the list of issues that silica is for and see if you have any others on the list to confirm if it would help your back or not.

You are fortunate that your dental issues sound very minor. That's good.

I think ozone would be contraindicated for me, too.

So I was thinking that if you raise your D levels and that raises calcium absorption, you might be having a silica deficiency problem, too.

I have never had my D levels checked. I was vegan for many years, no dairy, no calcium, no fish, no eggs, no vitamin d. So just taking raw dairy had to raise the levels of vitamin d and calcium. Very much needed but deficient in co-nutrients, I guess, I'm not sure.

That's good you were able to clear out your MCAS symptoms.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl , your problem may be different than mine, but my problem from the milk/dairy was from more calcium, which for some reason made me need more silica. So it's actually a silica problem. You can look at the list of issues that silica is for and see if you have any others on the list to confirm if it would help your back or not.
So I was thinking that if you raise your D levels and that raises calcium absorption, you might be having a silica deficiency problem, too.

Thank you for explaining it further and that makes sense (and I am slow to understand these things)! I Googled Silica deficiency and it says:

Too little silica can bring about calcification of connective and soft tissue, causing stiffness and loss of elasticity. Considered symptoms of aging, these issues may well be symptoms of silica deficiency. Hair, skin, and fingernail health is enhanced by silica as well.

I'm not really sure if this pertains in my case? Is there a blood test to see if someone is deficient in silica? I was deficient in just about everything we tested (B-12, Folate, Potassium, Iron, Vit D, etc) until I began supplementing them so nothing would surprise me.

It's just odd b/c this pain in my tailbone/ lower spine is new but I wake up with it every single morning, and then it gets a little better as the day progresses, but it does not go away. I have no idea what started it and hope it does not become chronic like my neck pain.

You are fortunate that your dental issues sound very minor. That's good. I think ozone would be contraindicated for me, too.

They are still considered minor but two dentists (one mainstream and one holistic) have confirmed that I have four minor cavities and if I do not eventually get them filled (or treated with ozone and remineralization), they will get worse and a lot more serious. I am working toward another medical issue (getting a colonoscopy) and as soon as that is done, my next goal is to figure out how to proceed w/this dental work.

I have never had my D levels checked. I was vegan for many years, no dairy, no calcium, no fish, no eggs, no vitamin d. So just taking raw dairy had to raise the levels of vitamin d and calcium. Very much needed but deficient in co-nutrients, I guess, I'm not sure.

Can you get your Vit D levels checked (so you will have a baseline moving forward) or would that not be helpful for you? In my case, I eat dairy, eggs, etc, but I do not eat fish b/c too high histamine and not worth it (and I don't like fish any way so not a big deal).

That's good you were able to clear out your MCAS symptoms.

It was a long process but definitely worth it. I just have to be very careful with dental work, and other things that I have a high chance of reacting to, and everything requires so much extra research and precautions... it is maddening sometimes!

Gondwanaland

AFAIK silica isn't officially considered an essential micronutrient. Oats are very rich in silica but unfortunately out of my menu.

Gondwanaland

I am not sure if B5 has been mentioned in this thread, but it is THE supplement for salicylate sensitivity. It makes sense since it promotes calcification and it looks like salicylates cause calcium loss.

dannybex

Self observation.
Probably the mechanisms is that Sals are phenols which need B5 for being processed by the liver

Well I did see a study that showed B5 helped reduce inhaled phenolic compounds, so perhaps it's worth noting. I'm finding however that glycine, glucuronic acid, and of course supporting the PST pathways have the most documentation to support detox/processing of salicylates/phenols. Thanks @Gondwanaland.