• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore tailbone anyone?

Gondwanaland

For me tailbone pain is triggered by salicylates. Cherries and Mulberries are the worst triggers. I suppose aspirin too, but I never take it (avoid it like the plague).

i-lava-u

lidocaine spray

biofreeze

Hmmm, I didn't think about topical pain reliever, great idea! I am so brain fogged its hard to think of easy solutions sometimes. I did get a cushion to sit on which helps.

@Gondwanaland interesting your pain is triggered by salicylates, I will take a closer look at my diet and notice if the pain is worse when I eat certain foods.

I think we go through cFs stages
I agree, it is so annoying. Just when one symptom seems to get somewhat under control either a new one creeps up or an old one flares back up again. ;):(

Seven7

Seven
Hmmm, I didn't think about topical pain reliever, great idea! I am so brain fogged its hard to think of easy solutions sometimes. I did get a cushion to sit on which helps.

@Gondwanaland interesting your pain is triggered by salicylates, I will take a closer look at my diet and notice if the pain is worse when I eat certain foods.

I agree, it is so annoying. Just when one symptom seems to get somewhat under control either a new one creeps up or an old one flares back up again. ;):(
If it is any consolation, sometimes you can get stable and not new symptoms to pop up for a while.

brenda

I had this pain when l was young and thought it was a bruised tailbone from falling when ice-skating but it became much worse and one morning when l had just woken, l went l feel it as it was hurting bad and found it was a cyst which then burst with a load of puss coming out. The relief was profound.

aaron_c

I recently developed acute tailbone pain. To be more precise, it's pain from something just to the side of my tailbone and towards my backside. It's mostly on one side although when it gets bad it's clear that there's also some tightness on the other side. It feels like a muscle or a tendon is really really tight and can't move, and that can make it very hard to find any position that's comfortable even if my tailbone isn't touching anything. It developed over the course of maybe a month. Needless to say I'm unsure whether this is the same tailbone pain described above, but it seemed similar enough that I thought I'd mention it.

After a good deal of experimentation I found that calcium and small amounts of oral vitamin d seem to fix it. I currently take two pills of calcium hydroxyapatite and 4000 mcg of vitamin D per day, divided into four doses. This has made night-and-day difference--there's still a spot near my tailbone that hurts when pressure is put directly on it, but I'm able to move around without fear of hurting myself, and I can sit all day without causing that spot to hurt. This is only day 4 of this treatment and I'm hopeful that over time the tight spot will disappear entirely.

The weird thing about all of this is that I have used a vitamin D lamp for years now. I get a certain set of symptoms if I don't use it, symptoms I used to associate with vitamin D deficiency. But I haven't gotten those symptoms for some time (I've been using the lamp regularly), and I tried increasing my UV-B exposure before I tried oral vitamin D and it didn't do a whole lot. So it's strange to me that my body would need ORAL vitamin D when it appears to get all the UV-B it wants.

Incidentally, I also tried taking fairly large doses of calcium before I tried taking small amounts of oral vitamin D. While it helped a little, it didn't help a lot like tiny amounts of oral vitamin d helped. @Gondwanaland does this line up with how you'd imagine a salicylate issue would show up?

Here's a website where a new mother mentions what appears to be the same kind of tailbone pain and her success treating it with calcium.

As for what caused it, nearest I can tell is that use of a small amount of activated charcoal every day may have caused a localized deficiency of vitamin D. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm trying to rationalize why I need oral vitamin D when it appears my UV-B supply is sufficient. It's the best guess I have, although I'm curious about Gondwanaland's salicylates.

Last edited:

i-lava-u

@aaron_c Thx for the detailed post and web link. :) I hope the supplements continue to help, in your case.

I still get the tailbone pain, but not as bad as before. I am convinced it was from prolonged bed rest causing it, in my case (the weakening of muscles from disuse)

Before starting Mestonin a few months back, I could not sit all the way upright very often or very long as I would get way too dizzy/nauseous and get presyncope (from POTS and nOH). I can sit upright more often now and I think that I have been slowly building muscle back in my tailbone and trunk area.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

does this line up with how you'd imagine a salicylate issue would show up?
Definetly. Just think about what salicylate sensititvity involves:
Acidity: depletion of Ca and Mg
Astringency: depletion of fat-soluble vitamins

Things that can cause instant tailbone pain are aspirin, orange juice, cherries.

I am convinced it was from prolonged bed rest causing it
Wouldn't it cause vit D depletion?

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I just discovered this thread and for the last few weeks, every morning I wake up with pain in my tailbone and lower back. I have no idea what is causing it and I am not doing anything differently. My mattress is less than four years old and is in very good shape.

I've lived with chronic pain on the right side of my neck and right shoulder that radiates down my right arm (but I know the cause of this). But the pain in my lower back & tailbone is new. I was only able to skim this thread, and hope to go back and read it later, but am curious if anyone figured out what this might be from?

aaron_c

@Gingergrrl

Tiny amounts of oral vitamin d worked for me. I take 1000 IU per day (although I also get a good amount of UV-B light to supplement that). My guess is it had something to do with the recent addition of activated charcoal to my supplement list.

Calcium has worked for other people with this issue but didn't work for me very much. I take a little bit with the vitamin D.

@Gondwanaland says that salicylates deplete calcium and magnesium, and thus could be another potential cause.

Of course I'm (unfortunately) not suggesting that these are the only explanations for your pain. But those are the ones I'm familliar with. Good luck, and let us know if you find something that works.

Gingergrrl

Tiny amounts of oral vitamin d worked for me.

I actually take a large dose of Vit D (10,000 IU's per day) in a divided dose of 5,000 AM and 5,000 PM. I am literally not able to maintain a normal level of Vit D (and have the VDR Taq mutation on 23andMe in case this is relevant). When I do not supplement, my level went down to "4" and then became undetectable. With my current dose, I am able to maintain a blood level of about 30. It's really crazy but I don't maintain normal levels of anything without supplementation (B-12, Iron, Potassium, etc).

Calcium has worked for other people with this issue but didn't work for me very much.

I actually do not supplement calcium but I eat a lot of dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, etc).

Of course I'm (unfortunately) not suggesting that these are the only explanations for your pain. But those are the ones I'm familliar with. Good luck, and let us know if you find something that works.

The only reasons that I think this might not pertain to my case is that I am literally not doing anything differently (re: meds or supplements) and my lower back/ tailbone did not start to hurt until a few weeks ago. I am wondering if something is out of place where I need a chiropractor to adjust it. I am okay with a chiro adjusting my back but would NEVER, EVER let anyone adjust my neck. I don't have a chiro now anyway so would have to find someone.

i-lava-u

@Gondwanaland
interesting, had not thought of Vitamin D as a link, but maybe there is something to that, for me, for the opposite reason ;)

I have had low vitamin D levels for years, even with supplementation.

New Dr upped my dosage significantly a few months before I started getting tailbone pain. When I got my vitamin D levels re-tested, they were in the "toxic" range (way too high)

Dr had me stop taking Vitamin D altogether and has been monitoring levels, which have been coming back down to my "normal" levels

Interestingly, around the time I stopped taking the vitamin D is when the tailbone pain started getting better....but I also started Mestonin around then too, so hard to know for sure....

Last edited:

Violeta

I just discovered this thread and for the last few weeks, every morning I wake up with pain in my tailbone and lower back. I have no idea what is causing it and I am not doing anything differently. My mattress is less than four years old and is in very good shape.

I've lived with chronic pain on the right side of my neck and right shoulder that radiates down my right arm (but I know the cause of this). But the pain in my lower back & tailbone is new. I was only able to skim this thread, and hope to go back and read it later, but am curious if anyone figured out what this might be from?

I had this symptom show up quite some time ago when I first started drinking raw milk. I read in the homeopathic materia medica that it can be a symptom of silica deficiency. So I still am not sure why, if it was the extra Vitamin D in the milk which then made my body absorb more calcium somehow causes a silica deficiency? So I think Godwanaland is right about the Vitamin D, although I always just thought about it as the calcium in the milk. I now realize that silica is one of the most necessary minerals that I need to take. Dairy can also make me deficient in Vitamin C, although I'm not sure why.

Here's a link to the list of symptoms related to silica.
http://www.homeoint.org/books/boericmm/s/sil.htm

This is also related to how the body uses calcium, and calcium fluoride could be the correct remedy.

Here's a link to calcium fluoride symptoms to see which one matches your symptoms the most. Although if cutting out Vitamin D corrects the problem, you might not need to look any further.
http://www.homeoint.org/books/boericmm/c/calc-f.htm

Violeta

I think phosphorus is a factor for me, too. I don't know how to explain that yet. Have you ever had very obvious Vitamin C deficiency? Vitamin C deficiency causes wasting of phosphorus, which might be a part of the picture. What causes the Vitamin C deficiency, though? My 5 siblings and I all ate the same food while growing up and I was the only one with Vitamin C deficiency symptoms and dental problems. I'm too tired to finish my train of thought, maybe someone can help. Let me ask, do calcium channels have anything to do with calcium being deposited in bone and teeth?

Violeta

I think phosphorus is a factor for me, too. I don't know how to explain that yet. Have you ever had very obvious Vitamin C deficiency? Vitamin C deficiency causes wasting of phosphorus, which might be a part of the picture. What causes the Vitamin C deficiency, though? My 5 siblings and I all ate the same food while growing up and I was the only one with Vitamin C deficiency symptoms and dental problems. I'm too tired to finish my train of thought, maybe someone can help. Let me ask, do calcium channels have anything to do with calcium being deposited in bone and teeth?

It looks as if there are calcium channels involved in calcium placement in bones. The reason I was wondering is because niacin might be part of the picture.
https://www.rndsystems.com/resources/technical/calcium-phosphorus-metabolism

Gingergrrl

I had this symptom show up quite some time ago when I first started drinking raw milk. I read in the homeopathic materia medica that it can be a symptom of silica deficiency. So I still am not sure why, if it was the extra Vitamin D in the milk which then made my body absorb more calcium somehow causes a silica deficiency? So I think Godwanaland is right about the Vitamin D, although I always just thought about it as the calcium in the milk. I now realize that silica is one of the most necessary minerals that I need to take. Dairy can also make me deficient in Vitamin C, although I'm not sure why.

Hi Violeta, I wasn't sure if your reply (above) was meant for me since you quoted me, vs. in general, but in my case, I have never drank raw milk and I have had this Vit D deficiency since I was first tested (probably in my 20's or 30's). I didn't learn until later that I had the VDR Taq mutation (or SNP?) on 23andMe until my early 40's when I was getting sick with this illness.

I also have overall problems with malabsorption from MCAS since histamine makes the membranes more permeable. But my MCAS is completely controlled, and basically in remission at this point, so I am not sure how big of a factor it is. But unless I take 10,000 IU's of Vit D per day, I cannot maintain a blood level above 30 (using the US scale which I know differs from the UK scale).

I also supplement with Vit C, Hydroxo B-12/Folinic Acid, Iron, and Potassium (in case this is relevant). But I haven't changed anything since waking up every morning now with this low back pain in my tailbone area. I have been doing stretches but it doesn't seem to help.

Let me ask, do calcium channels have anything to do with calcium being deposited in bone and teeth?

My understanding of the Calcium Channels is very poor but in case this is relevant, I have an autoantibody that attacks the N-type calcium channels. Because of this, neurologists told me that I should not take anything that is a calcium channel blocker (including magnesium) but that it is okay for me to take calcium. The calcium channels in my case are the voltage gated ion channels and I am not sure if they have anything to do with calcium being deposited in bones and teeth. I wish some day that I could understand all of this better.