• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Something's making me feel better

Hip

@drob31
I'd put my bets on stinging nettle root. As you know, nettle can increase levels of free testosterone (ref: here) by binding to SHBG, and low levels of testosterone are known to cause fatigue.

The herb Tribulus terrestris can also increase testosterone levels (or at least studies show that it does in rats). Body builders use this herb for this purpose. Tribulus terrestris increases the overall production of testosterone, whereas nettle increases free testosterone.

I found selenium to significantly reduce fatigue and brain fog, but the effects of selenium only appear after around 10 days of supplementation at 400 mcg daily (on an empty stomach). See this thread:

High Dose Selenium Significantly Improves My Fatigue and Brain Fog

The people on that thread who seem to benefit from selenium are those diagnosed with enterovirus-associated ME/CFS (which makes sense, because selenium is antiviral for enteroviruses).

optimist

@drob31 I simply love it when there is progress :)

I recently updated my dose to 1.2 grams a day.

Is this regarded to be a safe dose for magnesium? I've been on a 400mg dose a day for many moths now, and since I feel it gives me more energy, it would be nice to try going higher if that's safe?! I was especially thinking what @taniaaust1 said here in regards to this question:

Taking things thou" long term" (more then months) without a good reason if something isnt helping, is probably a bad idea even if it is just minerals or vitamins cause the body is best with certain minerals in certain ratios with other minerals etc.

Is this regarded to be a safe dose for magnesium? I've been on a 400mg dose a day for many moths now, and since I feel it gives me more energy, it would be nice to try going higher if that's safe?!
Too much will almost certainly trigger diarrhea. I take enough to keep my muscles from twitching/cramping without provocation, and have never tried to take an excess.

optimist

Too much will almost certainly trigger diarrhea. I take enough to keep my muscles from twitching/cramping without provocation, and have never tried to take an excess.

Diarrhoea is a risk I am willing to take if I can get more alert and quick :) What I am fearing is damaging my organs in some way, or poisoning myself so that I end up sick.

Gondwanaland

Diarrhoea is a risk I am willing to take if I can get more alert and quick :) What I am fearing is damaging my organs in some way, or poisoning myself so that I end up sick.
http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html#toxicology

http://www.side-effects-site.com/magnesium-side-effects.html

http://drcarolyndean.com/2012/10/when-magnesium-makes-me-worse/

Start low and go slow is valid for any supplement, food, drug, habit, etc.

I see more harm than good from starting high or suddenly increasing anything to too high levels at once.

drob31

I think it's always important to consult a doctor about medical advice no matter what it is.

With that being said, it's a very grey area when you have people on these forums that know more about their conditions than 99% of doctors. So you sort of have this subculture where people are "self hacking" themselves and treating themselves empirically because no doctor has an answer for them.

My magnesium RBC was at the very bottom of the range, only 1 point from being out side of the range, so I know it's something that's low.

optimist

@drob31 My doctor is very kind, but his normal response to my questions is just a smile (have you been reading funny things on the internet now again type of). So I am thinking of finding a doctor who does functional medicine, as I have an impression that they are good doctors, but they have a much more open mind about nutrition and supplements.

These days I am seeking advice here, duckduckgo&google and on the local vitamin store :)

drob31

@drob31
I'd put my bets on stinging nettle root. As you know, nettle can increase levels of free testosterone (ref: here) by binding to SHBG, and low levels of testosterone are known to cause fatigue.

The herb Tribulus terrestris can also increase testosterone levels (or at least studies show that it does in rats). Body builders use this herb for this purpose. Tribulus terrestris increases the overall production of testosterone, whereas nettle increases free testosterone.

I found selenium to significantly reduce fatigue and brain fog, but the effects of selenium only appear after around 10 days of supplementation at 400 mcg daily (on an empty stomach). See this thread:

High Dose Selenium Significantly Improves My Fatigue and Brain Fog

The people on that thread who seem to benefit from selenium are those diagnosed with enterovirus-associated ME/CFS (which makes sense, because selenium is antiviral for enteroviruses).

It's funny you mention entero virus because recently I've been talking to Halcyon, and we have allot of the same symptoms. However I don't have the same "sickness" symptoms he does. But he is pretty sure he's got an entero virus.

I'm only taking 100 mg of selenium a day. I guess I could increase it.

Is selenium still helping you? I've also read it could be helpful for Hasihimoto's.

By the way, I did something dumb and stayed out until 7 am. (I never do that), and while I did sleep in late, I'm not totally fatigued. Infact I still think I can function.

Nettle Root may be having an effect, as my SHBG was high. However my total test is normal (haven't checked free lately)

I've also read Nettle Root can inhibit TNF-a. I still haven't checked my cytokine profile to find out what was elevated, but I've read high levels of TNF-a can cause fatigue, and by lowering it and other inflammatory cytokines, it can help with fatigue.

drob31

@drob31 I simply love it when there is progress :)

My doctors fine with it. Infact, he's fine with me self hacking myself within reason, since he trusts my judge. I have spoke to him enough and proven myself trustworthy to do so. Yeah, I talk about self hacking, but realistically I'm tolerance mapping everything and am very careful about negative reactions.

drob31

@drob31 My doctor is very kind, but his normal response to my questions is just a smile (have you been reading funny things on the internet now again type of). So I am thinking of finding a doctor who does functional medicine, as I have an impression that they are good doctors, but they have a much more open mind about nutrition and supplements.

These days I am seeking advice here, duckduckgo&google and on the local vitamin store :)

The doc I'm working with does "integrative" medicine. I'd be happy to shoot your his info if you want. He does Skype sessions. Also, he's extremely open minded. If you can prove something to him using peer reviewed studies and common sense, he's open minded to research it and possibly let you try it.

Apparently he did his fellowship with Dr. Teitlebaum (I'm sure my spelling is wrong here).

Also he trained with the famous hypothyroid doc, Kent Holtorf.

drob31

I have had no diarrhea. Infact my digestion has been great lately.

drob31

I wanted to mention that my doctor actually said he though that I may have done something to kick start mitochondria, and that's why I had more energy.

So it's either a testosterone boost, dead candida, probiotics, Keflex (ABX), or mito supplements.

optimist

The doc I'm working with does "integrative" medicine. I'd be happy to shoot your his info if you want. He does Skype sessions. Also, he's extremely open minded. If you can prove something to him using peer reviewed studies and common sense, he's open minded to research it and possibly let you try it.

Apparently he did his fellowship with Dr. Teitlebaum (I'm sure my spelling is wrong here).

Also he trained with the famous hypothyroid doc, Kent Holtorf.

Haven heard of "integrative doctors" yet. I'll try to remember your offer here, but I think my preference would be someone who can work with me in person first :) Though I am no stranger to Skyping if need be.

That link said:
You should also NOT take magnesium if you currently have an excessively slow heart rate,

HR just now=54, two days ago=45 ... not sure if I qualify :) I believe my low HR and BP is a genetical thing, and not ME related, but I am not 100% sure. My dad is well and has the same numbers as me (I have put my BP monitor to good use :D )

Gingergrrl

HR just now=54, two days ago=45 ... not sure if I qualify :) I believe my low HR and BP is a genetical thing, and not ME related, but I am not 100% sure. My dad is well and has the same numbers as me (I have put my BP monitor to good use :D )

@optimist That seems like a very low HR so I would ask your doctor re: the magnesium. My very first and most annoying symptom of this whole thing was tachycardia. I was doing so well and then last night my HR went up to 117 and this morning 106 and my shortness of breath came back. But I am doing magnesium by nebulizer and after the treatment my HR and breathing are totally normal again. I have yet to try any med or combination of meds that has gotten my HR too low!

optimist

@Gondwanaland Super effective answers :) Thanks!

@Gingergrrl Really happy for you that you got better! Yes, my HR is a bit low... I will try to remeber to ask the Dr next time. Usually I forget a few of the things I am planning to ask, just to remember them a long time after I get home again :meh:

Gondwanaland

Usually I forget a few of the things I am planning to ask, just to remember them a long time after I get home again :meh:
I always sit in front of my functional dr. and go thru my list of things to discuss. I see her every 2 months.

I take daily notes in a journal (excel file) and then a couple of days before my appointment I summarize the results from the period since the last appointment and print it.

She just loves that I understand the symptoms I get from new dosages and new supplements. Then we decide together what I need to improve (fatigue, focus, OCD, you name it).

Right now a multimineral formula has been helping me a lot. I am still oversensitive to folate and mB12 though :oops:

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl Really happy for you that you got better!

@optimist I wish that were true and some day hope to post on PR that I am all better! But sadly what is tending to happen is that I have a really good day (that I am so grateful for) and then I overdo it (by PWC standards) and then feel significantly worse. Today my tachycardia and shortness of breath are back plus my BP is all over the map plus headaches. So, I feel like my prior post was a fraud although it really was true in the moment. This illness is so discouraging b/c I can get my hopes up but it never lasts. But I don't want to be a downer in Drob31's thread!

optimist

@Gondwanaland I think I need to make a list, and to find a doctor who's willing to sit down and figure out what to do as well :)

@Gingergrrl Just hold on to the memories of those good times, and keep on fighting for more of those (but in the right tempo)! Your post was not a fraud, not at all! There are progress and setbacks with most of us, but it is not a lie to say that you felt good when you did!

I think this sickness can mess with our conscience so that we get into self condemning when there's no real reason. Entertaining such emotions I believe are set to drain us even more, and we need to shrug them off as soon as they come.