• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some questions for those who have been taking vitamin D3

Sundancer

It's probably me being a hypochondriac but I feel different since I started taking them and not in a good way. On the night I take the high dose I have broken sleep and unpleasant vivid dreams, and I feel like there's some low level nausea going on, but this could simply be my ME.

well, if you do not feel good with the high dose, you could take smaller doses. I would not like to take such high doses. I would not take more then 10.000 in one go. But even that is high imho.

in general, start low, go slow that's the adagium

What form has the supplement? can you quarter it and take one day , next day not?

I have vit E supplement which is too highly dosed for my taste. I mix it with a tasty oil ( hemp) and take a spoon a day, that way I have the amount I want.

I was some reckoning to find out how much oil I needed, but now that I have the ratio, it is easy. These are those softgels filled with oil.

pamojja

What concerns me is hypercalcemia

Personally would also go sure to get all co-factor nutrients mentioned earlier. And do include testing for serum calcium the next time. Also prefer it in more usual smaller doses. However, I know some who do tolerate high weekly boluses very well - in such a case why not? From an earlier quote:

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/latest-case-stuides-on-vitamin-d-toxicity/

Vitamin D levels associated with clear toxicity ranged from 194 to 1220 ng/ml. To my knowledge, toxicity occurring at 194 ng/ml is the lowest vitamin D level causing clear toxicity known in the medical literature.
I am concerned that people with levels greater than 150 ng/ml may be urinating out more calcium than they should; that is urinating out their bones. .. To be safe, keep your 25(OH)D vitamin D levels below 100 ng/ml.

25,000 IU / 7 days = 3.571 IU - Usually starting supplementation it takes months of in average 5.000 IU/d to get just to the mean of vitamin D levels. Very unlikely such a lower dose would ever produce hypercalcemia by itself. Of course, there could be other factors present that could.

Shoshana

Northern USA
For those who do believe they need some Vitamin D supplementation,

But who have had stomach/digestive upset from it,

I pass along , for you to consider, that all the forms I had previously tried, did upset and pain my system (and did not succeed in raising my basement level)

until I tried the liquid form of drops, I specify in one of my previous posts in THIS thread.

It has not caused any noticeable negative side effect, and has raised my lab tested level.
I suggest that, IF you take any Vit D, to take it along WITH a liquid or food that has some fat included,
and as stated above by another poster, it would take time, to raise the level.

Last edited:

AngelM

Hi everybody,

I have been working on a thorough review on vitamin D supplementation--which I am finding much to my surprise to inhibit pretty much all parts of the immune system with a potency similar to that of corticosteroids--, and it would be very important to me, in order to finish this investigation and reach valid conclusions, to know the following questions. I'd really appreciate your inputs here! I will be sharing with you my article really soon:

For those of you who have been taking vitamin D for a long time:

1. How much of vit D3 (Cholecalciferol) have you been taking and for how long (more or less)?

2. If you are measuring blood levels, could you please let me know what concentration of 25-hidroxicolecalciferol (Calcifediol) and of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (calcitrol), in blood, have you achieved (please give me the units if possible)? I am much more interested in the levels of the active form, calcitrol, as I assume that its precursor, Calcifediol, did rise in serum by taking supplemental vit D3. I need to know if this makes the active vitamin D to increase even more (it is usually high in chronic diseases), given that this is the one that might be causing serious problems.

3. If you could let me know which were your previous levels of both vitamins (previous to start supplementing vit D3), this would be also really helpful!

Thank you very much in advance!
Sergio

I just had a Vitamin D Hydroxy test (October 2018) and the result was 21 units. I assume units but don’t know for sure. But was below normal.