• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SOD2 A16V homozygous mutation - anyone else?

cigana

kyzcreig

I've been taking Tempol for a few weeks now and Extramel and those other pretend SOD supplements don't even compare.

kyzcreig

When I take it I find it makes me much calmer, easier to fall asleep. Overall I've noticed the following:
Skin has more color
Veins are less vascular (bulging), probably from scavenging nitrogen species
Less food sensitivity
Heal faster
No anxiety

It's hard to say how much of this is due entirely to Tempol lowering oxidative stress. Because I'm attacking oxidative stress from a few angles. But I like how things have gone since I started using it. And it's not that expensive.

aquariusgirl

SOD 2 +\+ here ..Mitosynergy copper helped big time but now I wonder if oral copper is a bad idea cos it feeds the gut bugs?

npeden

NPeden, Monterey, CA
I have a homozygous mutation on SOD2 A16V among other heterozygous mutations in acetylation and glutathione conjugation.
My doc recommended me to support the SOD2 mutation as much as possible.
How are you guys with the same SOD2 mutation addressing the problem? Are you taking specific supplements and/or avoiding certain foods and lifestyle behaviors?
I do really well w 7 drops of manganese. Discovered this myself, confirmed by nd.

Biarritz13

I'm about to start HBOT and am wondering if it increases ROS in someone with a double mutation in SOD2.
I'm going to start the full mitochondrial antioxidant pentet as suggested by alex3619 because i have always noticed improvement on Q10, E and especially NAC.

Hi Man. How was the HBOT? TY

Thinktank

Hi Man. How was the HBOT? TY
I did it two times only because there was so much going on in that time with IV antibiotics etc. i had to stop it. I was also worried about the ROS / oxidative stress which runs very high in me.
But it did give a slight reduction in brainfog.

Biarritz13

I did it two times only because there was so much going on in that time with IV antibiotics etc. i had to stop it. I was also worried about the ROS / oxidative stress which runs very high in me.
But it did give a slight reduction in brainfog.

Too bad! It can work great on the fatigue.

How do you know it's high in you? Is there a test or something for this?

Thinktank

@Theodore, i want to try HBOT again, maybe next year.

DROMS, low glutathione and a few other tests indicate high oxidative stress in me. I also react very positive to certain antioxidants and glutathione precursors.
I have some symptoms like grey hair, hair loss, skin problems etc. that clear / improve up when addressing the oxidative stress.