• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Social and outdoor problems

Emmarose47

Hi all I'm struggling.. The environment I live in I have an apartment and a small open garden plot out the front. I'n my old environment I had a private garden. Outdoor time is so important to me.
I've been flaring since end may and I have better days within it but I can't seem to reach the stable place with signif wks that has been the case.
Being social is a real trigger for me with flare and the part I struggle with the most. I have to be stable stable to have friend round etc it's v isolating and the part of this I find the cruelest.
So my struggle is I can't control my neighbour who talks nessesently about herself. Shes partially deaf so makes it worse for any getting heard by her. I've given my neighbours info about my condition and wrote a little life story.
I just don't know how to be outside and stop her being like this. I do put up boundaries by making it clear I don't want to talk.. Read or do art etc. It feels it would easy to cause her offence and then that atmosphere would be bad. I can't live like a recluse..
Any ideas /experinece if really appreciate..

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Maybe not helpful but could you put on a headset with some classical music or ear buds and talk to someone on your cell while you're out there a few times to get her used to letting you have that time to yourself.

Or even just a noise blocking headset? Something else that's visual (like the book or sketchpad) but that also lets her know conversation would be harder to engage in with you?

Edit: You could still smile and wave to her as not to offend but maybe then just go back to your phone conversation or music and drawing and maybe even engage her a little bit as you're heading back into your apartment.

???

Last edited: