• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

So I'm wondering which doctors in the US still treat ME with antivirals

Shanti1

Administrator
Do you think he would put in an order so I could have those done through a clinic here if/when I made an appointment with him.
Good question. If I had to guess I would say that he will want to see you before writing a script for testing, his office staff is very nice and they would be able to confirm.

Also did you say after the initial visit he lets you do virtual visits instead and which antivirals was he willing to prescribe?
A year ago, when I had my initial appointment, he offered both initial consults and follow-ups as virtual visits. The problem is that he doesn't take insurance for virtual. He only accepts insurance for in office. I would call the office to see if this is still the case.

He is an otolaryngologist by training, but developed and interest in fibro and ME since he had fibro himself. Since I was only positive for EBV, he wrote a script for valacyclovir, but he did say that he uses other antivirals if needed. In his book, written in 2008, he mentions also using famciclovir and Valcyte, although he uses valcyte less often due to the higher side effect profile. I am not sure how willing he is to venture beyond these antivirals.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
his office staff is very nice and they would be able to confirm.

Thank you. Maybe just one more question (for now at least :please:)
...I started reading his book last night and wondered if he will push the allergy testing, etc a lot.

It's just that over the last 30 years through testing and trial and error I've eliminated so many things (whole food groups, odd foods, as well as environmental exposures, etc). I just don't know if I can eliminate anymore.

Workarounds take energy too. :xpem:

:)

Shanti1

Administrator
Ask all the questions you like, not a problem.
...I started reading his book last night and wondered if he will push the allergy testing, etc a lot.
I saw in his book that he had his own brand of allergy testing and I was worried that he was going to want me to take his specific test. Like you, I've done a lot of work with food sensitivities and I have also already had a lot of IgG testing. When I went to my appointment, I brought all my previous IgG tests with me and he accepted those and didn't ask me to do further testing. If I hadn't already had testing done, I do not know if he would have pushed it, but my sense is that he would be flexible on that.

hapl808

Am I correct in reading that an ICD diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue is distinct and excluded by a diagnosis of Post Viral Fatigue?

https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/R00-R99/R50-R69/R53-/R53.82

Even though their description of CFS says: "The etiology of cfs may be viral or immunologic."

Am I misreading this diagnostic?

I hate that our healthcare system has nothing to do with our health and everything to do with what boxes are definitively checked on a disorder that has no definitive biomarkers or even symptoms.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Am I correct in reading that an ICD diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue is distinct and excluded by a diagnosis of Post Viral Fatigue?

I don't know. I'm sorry. We used to have someone who was really good with ICD codes. @Inara, was that you?

Edit: Here's one old thread on it, I think. ?? https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/icd-10-cm-me-and-cfs-to-be-split.39655/

https://cfsformecfs.org/2021/09/30/...can-can-develop-me-cfs-including-after-covid/

Maybe a good question for a new thread?

Last edited: