• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

slowing down a hyper sex drive?

caledonia

I believe this is being caused by coming off the Effexor. I also had increased libido occur when I was coming off Zoloft. It lasted maybe about a month? So enjoy it while it lasts...

Note: I had decreased libido while on Zoloft, so that's a clue if you also had that happen.

taniaaust1

maybe cruel to be kind, i was going after a laugh. If ice packs reduce your sex drive then i need a heat pack.
Interesting as i thought most had reduced sex drive.

cheers!!!

LMAO.. it made me laugh and this other comment of yours just made me laugh too as I can image a stupid doctor sitting there and calming telling someone with this issue to ice pack.

Its not a at all funny issue thou really as the too highly sexed thing can lead to ME crashing. (Climaxing used to make me quite ill).

this thread has had quite a bad effect on my brain lol. I just saw the thread starting with "D lactate" and my brain actually read that as "Do lubricate" I had to read it again to clear up what I read. Its crazy what my brain can go and mess up.

sorry.. that comment probably dont help someone having issues with a hyper sex drive

Gavman

Quote:

"SSRIs create a block to stop the flow of serotonin, so it takes a while to build up a decent storage facility, peggy-sue."

Sorry, Gavman, that's wrong. SSRI stands for "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor".

When transmitter is released into the synapse (which it is, in the form of little packets of molecules, not one molecule at a time - it's not an accurately measured number of molecules released) other molecules are also released - to deal with the excess, mop it up and put it back - these molecules are the "reuptakers".

SSRIs inhibit these molecules from working, so the serotonin lasts for a longer time in the synapse.

Transmitters do not "flow".

But I would think an icepack... or thoughts of Anne Widdicombe sitting on the loo, would be far safer than resorting to SSRIs.

SSRIs are not at all well understood and they're chemical sledgehammers - with tons and tons of effects way above and beyond those required of them.

Did you mean to come across as rude? Its easy to get caught up in the details instead of seeing the big picture.
If I kept having to google and get everything exact, i'd never have any time for finding a solution.