• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep Disturbance after trying probiotics from Sun Genomics

Peyt

Hi,
I tried Sun Genomics probiotics monthly subscription service back in 2021. The first 2-3 months it actually helped improve my sleep. Things went downhill from there. I noticed I fell sleep fine every night but would wake up around 2:00am to 3:00am every night. I contacted them and found out they were changing the probiotics every month and had decided to put some bacteria in the mix that was increasing histamine. They tried changing the probiotic mix for the next 2 months which did not help.
I ended up stopping the service. But now, 1 1/2 years later I am still having trouble staying sleep. I fall sleep with no problem but wake up in the middle of the night.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Has anyone had a good experericne with any other company or pracitioner that they would recommend?
Please help!

BrightCandle

Based on my own tests with biomesight the probiotics didn't really stick around. Only the bacteria from human sources (most are from plants) that I grew and multiplied in "yoghurts" ever showed up in the test later on, specifically L Reuteri from Biogaia. But the thing that made the most difference so far has been prebiotic fibres, those seem to target and improve my gut quite a bit and my biomesight shows dramatic improvements from inulin on F Prusnitz.

Biomesight recently introduced a recommended prebiotics page and its been helpful in working out what to add to improve my big deficits. In my opinion prebiotics targeting the species that are depleted (probably Bifiobacterium and F Prusnitz present in all ME/CFS) might be the way to go. Start slowly.

Inluin, Acacia fibre, HMOs, Psyllium Husk are what I take currently.

Peyt

Based on my own tests with biomesight the probiotics didn't really stick around. Only the bacteria from human sources (most are from plants) that I grew and multiplied in "yoghurts" ever showed up in the test later on, specifically L Reuteri from Biogaia. But the thing that made the most difference so far has been prebiotic fibres, those seem to target and improve my gut quite a bit and my biomesight shows dramatic improvements from inulin on F Prusnitz.

Biomesight recently introduced a recommended prebiotics page and its been helpful in working out what to add to improve my big deficits. In my opinion prebiotics targeting the species that are depleted (probably Bifiobacterium and F Prusnitz present in all ME/CFS) might be the way to go. Start slowly.

Inluin, Acacia fibre, HMOs, Psyllium Husk are what I take currently.
I am glad prebiotics worked for you, but for people like myself with SIBO prebiotics are actually very harmful.
I have tried all the ones you have listed and they caused violent headaches for me. What happens with people with SIBO is that the prebiotics are consumed by the bad bacteria and those bacetrias produces gases that get into the blood stream and cause vasodialation which causes very bad headaches... Each person is different and one size does not fit all.

BrightCandle

Do you know if unmodified potato starch would increase F. Prusnitz too?
Biomesight says Pectin and Resistant starch, so I would assume cold potato starch would absolutely work. Biomesights recommend product is Citrus Pectin and its another one of those things I am also taking but forgot about!

maple

I categorically cannot tolerate psyllium. And probiotics can make me both better and worse. I find arabinogalactan to be a helpful prebiotic.

xploit316

I am glad prebiotics worked for you, but for people like myself with SIBO prebiotics are actually very harmful.
I have tried all the ones you have listed and they caused violent headaches for me. What happens with people with SIBO is that the prebiotics are consumed by the bad bacteria and those bacetrias produces gases that get into the blood stream and cause vasodialation which causes very bad headaches... Each person is different and one size does not fit all.
@Peyt Same, some fibers actually give me almost instant Belly button and anal fissures/hemorrhoids. I have tested for colon issues and dont seem to have IBD (Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis). Also did a month long course of Rifaximin which gave some symptom relief but not a cure. Never understood what the root cause of this problem is.

Peyt

Just to give everyone an update. I am currently managing my sleep disturbance with addressing blood deficency in my body by eating foods such as black grapes, chia seeds and dates. I am now able to sleep a full 6 hours without disturbance. I am also working with an acupuncturist to address inflamation in my body. Wheather or not the foods I mentioned are feeding certain bacteria in my body and are inducing deeper sleep I have no idea. But since it's working I am going to continue. ... And I was tested for low Iron and low b-12 which both came back normal.. so whatever blood deficency I have is not showing on a regular blood test. But the remedies are working so I won't try to fix it if it's not broken!

xploit316

What happens with people with SIBO is that the prebiotics are consumed by the bad bacteria and those bacetrias produces gases that get into the blood stream and cause vasodialation which causes very bad headaches.
@Peyt Any hacks to digest prebiotics better and increase vasoconstriction?