• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep Disease on Fox News

V99

The comment that stood out, was the presenter saying "...I would naturally think, well it's probably related to whatever that bug was that she had." Do you think???

MEKoan

When the piece said she would sleep for 13 days, straight, I thought: well, that's something different and she must be hospitalized in order not to die of dehydration. Then, they went on to say she was awake for a "couple of hours" a day: to eat, drink and sometimes bathe, and how she would feel during it: quiet, distant, unresponsive and unaware of her surroundings... and I thought: Why is this never considered for us? How different is this anyway?! Someone should test that girl for XMRV.

T

thefreeprisoner

Wow, they do seem remarkably similar.
I do know that a lot of PWME have insomnia, though, which would be a sure sign they don't have KLS.

But this makes me wonder how many people have been misdiagnosed with ME when what they really have is KLS?

Rachel xx

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
my insomnia didn't come on right away, after onset i could sleep forever. then later on as i got to the point that i would stay at for nearly 26 yrs, insomnia has become one of the worst symptons because you need good sleep desparately.

MEKoan

Me too. Hypersomnia first then upside down circadian rhythm. I can still have days of hypersomnia if I have overdone.

ETA I now sleep about 7 hrs, uninterrupted, each night with the help of a little xanax and meditation. I still wake up every morning utterly exhausted as though I have been awake for a week.

Samuel

Cannot type, but the following is an excerpt from something I hope to post soon. I will call it "Samuel's diagnostic story" and probably post in "Introduce Yourself".

As a teenager, I had a strange experience: for 2 weeks, I
had to sleep about 23 hours per day. No other symptoms
except that possibly around that time (possibly not), I had
red streaks on ankles and swollen groin lymph. School nurse
called the red streaks blood poisoning but did nothing about
it. Did anybody else experience something like this? It
wasn't fatigue or depression. It did not have the altered
behavior of Kleine-Levin syndrome (just looked that one
up :)). Just sleepiness. I do not recall any lingering
effects from the sleep period.

Tammie

I saw this and wondered about it, too.....my sleep varies so much, & most nights I have trouble getting and staying asleep, but every so often it seems like my body is trying to catch up with the lack adn then I can sleep as many as 36 hrs straight, only getting up to use the bathroom

beesknees

I can't remember if they said how long this has been going on. I wondered if it is the beginging stage of CFS. It does remind me of how I was when I first got sick. I could easily sleep for a couple days. When she is awake she says she cant communicate and is quiet. Sounds alot like brain fog. I do the same thing when I'm really tired I just am too tired to think and talk. But the thing that really got my attention was when they said it stared with the flu? Sound familiar??

A

alexjoan

Some people strugle to sleep at night because they get inadequate oxygen levels. Many things can contribute to the condition called sleep apnea. Some of the more typical things helping to cause sleep apnea are obesity, smoking, alcohol, and other drugs.