• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep & Common Comorbidities With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

bullybeef

Sleep & Common Comorbidities With Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Monday May 31, 2010

Research Briefs
According to information published by Newswise, two recent studies on sleep shed light on what could link fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome to a higher risk of diabetes, and a third could make it easier for people with these conditions to have a quality sleep study.

Study #1: Sleepless Night = Insulin Resistance
A new study accepted for publication in the Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism suggests that a single night with inadequate sleep is enough to cause insulin resistance. This is the first study to link just one night of poor sleep to the problem, but others have shown a link between insulin resistance and several night of shortened sleep duration.
Insulin resistance happens when the body no longer uses insulin efficiently, so it takes more of the hormone to keep the body functioning. This is a key component of type 2 (adult-onset) diabetes.

People with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome typically don't sleep well and awaken feeling unrefreshed. That could be to blame, at least in part, for the higher incidence of diabetes in these conditions.

See: http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2...ith-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.htm

HopingSince88

Bullybeef,
Thanks for digging this up. Many of us here are the 'apple'-shape and are pre-diabetic. Tying this in to our sleep disorders (many of us don't get stage 3 or 4 sleep, and many more have serious insomnia) is just another piece of the puzzle.

bullybeef

I friend of mine spoke to me last year after he was diagnosed with diabetes (can't remember which type), but his doctor told him his symptoms would be similar to ME. Never heard that comparison before, or since.

HopingSince88

My closest friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 18 months ago. I just sent this information to her. She has serious sleep issues.