• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep Apnea & Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM)

Just wondering if any other people with Sleep Apnea (SA) and ME/CFS have noticed their Sleep Apnea episodes (Apnea-Hypopnea Index - AHI) sky-rocket while suffering from Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM). Before I had my ME/CFS diagnosis I was diagnosed with very bad SA. I was hopeful that SA was my only problem. Nine months later I was diagnosed with ME/CFS after my symptoms stayed the same and some got worse. Seven months after being on the CPAP machine I was sent for a sleep study. I was particularly feeling PEM that day. The technician said they had to push the air pressure way up to get me into a REM sleep. I didn't think much about that then. However, over the last 12 months I have noticed that my AHI will go up nearly 500% when I feel very fatigued from over doing it. If I have been pacing myself well and not overdoing it, my AHI will usually be 0.8 to 1.5. When I overdo it or am stressed out, my AHI can hit 5.0.

Back