• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin pain - new & intense (and I can do without it!)

Woof!

:( So here is a new development for me: intense superficial pain (skin level) in response to something that was not painful in the past (dry needling).

Dry needling has long been a Godsend for me. It reverses a lot of FM muscle spasm, neck & shoulder pain and leg pain. Unfortunately, the last 3 times my physical therapist used her magic needles, the pain in my skin (not my muscles) was so intense, she had to stop!

Her theory is that people with chronic pain issues are already a step or three up on the staircase of pain. Normal people start at ground level, but not us, so we get to "INTENSE" a lot faster than they do.

If this is true, and because dry needling has always been completely tolerable in the past, it is probably due to some current stressors for me. Fortunately, a big stressor for me will be gone in 2 weeks. I can only hope that this skin-level pain stops as a result. Who knows?

Anyone here experience something like this before?

Woof!

Could be a form of neuropathy. I can't wear normal socks due to the skin pain. I have to wear "diabetic socks" with weaker elastic, designed for people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Agreed.

Not-so-oddly-enough, I had an appointment with a neurologist just this week. When she put me through all the usual tests, one of the things she did was test for pain sensation using a pin. Rather than dissipate quickly, the sharp pain from the pin lingered for a few minutes (something it had never done before). No comment from the neurologist when that was pointed out.

I'm reading "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman, MD, and the quote at the beginning of the book says it all: "We carve out order by leaving the disorderly parts out." William James.

It's no wonder multi-system diseases like ME/CFS get the short shift.

Pyrrhus

I'm reading "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman, MD, and the quote at the beginning of the book says it all: "We carve out order by leaving the disorderly parts out." William James.

I think a friend of the family contributed to chapter 8 of that book.

This friend, Hal Kundel, made radiologists wear visors that tracked their eye movements. Then he studied how radiologists looked at scans and tried to explain their diagnoses based on their eye movements while reviewing the scans. He looked for patterns in eye movements that suggested bias or incorrect diagnoses. Very interesting work: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17412094/
(you might be interested in this @SNT Gatchaman )

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Do you react badly to ginkgo? I use it sometimes for my skin zapping feeling. It also helps with my tinnitus. The other skin sensation that I get that is unpleasant is feeling like my skin's been slapped.

Another member described it as having a sunburn feeling without having an actual sunburn.

Anyway, I'm getting that today so I just went and took a pinch of the ginkgo. If I remember to, I'll come back later and let you know if it seemed to help with that as well.

Woof!

Hey, @Woof
I'm sorry this is happening to you. Did either your PT or the neuro suggest small fiber neuropathy (SFN)?.
I'm hoping you'll improve on your own, but if not, maybe look into it? All the best!
Thank you for asking, @Zebra. :hug: SFN was ruled out, as was ALS. My biggest concern going into the appointment was a periodic inability to speak due to profound & sudden jaw muscle fatigue. Since I also deal with recurrent sore throats lasting a day or two, plus slurring of my words and speech fatigue when I talk a lot (something I don't do a lot of, but still try to do a couple of times a year at conferences), what I'm experiencing is likely just another crappy manifestation of ME/CFS. Sigh.

Crux

Hypoparathyroidism can cause a lot of these symptoms.

https://rarediseases.org/rare-disea...onfusion, disorientation,if it is not treated.

"The symptoms of hypoparathyroidism occur due to low levels of calcium in the blood. The severity of the condition can range from mild symptoms such as a tingling or numbness in the fingers, toes or around the lips (paresthesias) to severe muscle cramps and muscle spasms."

"Hoarseness or voice changes, wheezing and difficulty breathing (dyspnea) can also be associated with chronic hypoparathyroidism. Sudden, muscular spasms affecting the larynx (laryngospasm) and the bronchial tubes (bronchospasm) may also occur. Laryngospasm causes closure of the upper end of the trachea and prevents air from reaching the lungs. Bronchospasm can restrict the flow of air into and out of the lungs. "

https://www.buoyhealth.com/learn/hypoparathyroidism

I've had a lot of these symptoms too. Otherworldly.

I remember you are taking a lot of calcium.

I'm up to 2gms. a day, plus food to allay the symptoms, but my blood serum calcium is perfectly normal. I'm also taking a parathyroid glandular, which does help.

Woof!

So many thanks, @Crux, for your insight! I'm checking out the references you mentioned.

What parathyroid glandular are you taking, and what blood work and/or genetic testing have you had that led you to try it?

:hug:

Crux

You're very welcome @Woof! ,

I'm taking " Professional Formulas" pure parathyroid. I buy it from https://www.vitaliving.com/products/pure-parathyroid-60c-by-professional-formulas.
They're a good fast shipping company, and they don't charge shipping, at least in US.

I tested PTH, calcium, and phosphorus. The Endo. tested vitamin D. Vitamin D is still low. It enhances phosphorus uptake which still gives me trouble, but, it's improving.

I started to look through 23 and me , CASR snps, but, ugh, only beginning.
My family had some signs of hypocalcemia, but with normal serum calcium. ( mother and sister had long qt interval arrhythmia.)

btw, are you having any other symptoms ? I've saved a bunch of articles if they apply. :hug:

Crux

I forgot that the Endo. tested magnesium too.

Now well into normal range. 12 years ago, it was high normal. The calcium brought it into normal range. Now I can take small amounts without side effects.

Electrolytes can antagonize each other.

EtherSpin

:( So here is a new development for me: intense superficial pain (skin level) in response to something that was not painful in the past (dry needling).

Dry needling has long been a Godsend for me. It reverses a lot of FM muscle spasm, neck & shoulder pain and leg pain. Unfortunately, the last 3 times my physical therapist used her magic needles, the pain in my skin (not my muscles) was so intense, she had to stop!

Her theory is that people with chronic pain issues are already a step or three up on the staircase of pain. Normal people start at ground level, but not us, so we get to "INTENSE" a lot faster than they do.

If this is true, and because dry needling has always been completely tolerable in the past, it is probably due to some current stressors for me. Fortunately, a big stressor for me will be gone in 2 weeks. I can only hope that this skin-level pain stops as a result. Who knows?

Anyone here experience something like this before?

left field angle that might be useless for you..

I have skin pain in response to heat since glandular fever in 1994 - at the time I wasnt aware cause it was cold season then when summer hit I had excruciating pain if I would run/jog and send my core temp up, go from indoors to outside hot sun on the skin, be in the cold and throw on a heavy thick layer of fleecy stuff, lift up an object e.g. getting chopped wood from outdoors in the cold to load into hot fire inside, going from cool outdoors into a heated room

all pain on the skin thats like TINY needles with a hook tip pressing into the skin and pulling back out in a random pattern of hundreds of points anywhere from the waist up.

most annoying has been that in a social setting it can even happen from getting embarassed and face flushing with blood and warmth if the room is already heating up.

did you have any of the herpes family viruses in recent history that could have screwed some nerve connections a bit ?

Woof!

all pain on the skin thats like TINY needles with a hook tip pressing into the skin and pulling back out in a random pattern of hundreds of points anywhere from the waist up.

did you have any of the herpes family viruses in recent history that could have screwed some nerve connections a bit ?
No herpes virus exposure recently that I'm aware of.

What's weird right now is an occasional sharp-splinter-like sensation in one fingertip and the tip of one big toe. Lasted 1-2 days and then hasn't recurred. No splinters to be found (nor reason to have a splinter in either area). Sigh.