• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Six-Week Supplementation with Creatine in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy...(2024)

SlamDancin

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/16/19/3308

Abstract​

Background: Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic medical condition with no specific pharmacological treatment. Creatine, a nutrient essential for maintaining energy homeostasis in the cells, is a candidate for interventions in ME/CFS. Methods: Fourteen participants with ME/CFS received supplementation with 16 g creatine monohydrate for 6 weeks. Before starting creatine and on the last day of treatment, participants underwent brain magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) scanning of the pregenual anterior cingulate cortex (pgACC) and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC), followed by symptom, cognition, and hand-grip strength assessments. Results: Eleven participants completed the study. Creatine treatment increased creatine concentration in both the pgACC and DLPFC (p = 0.004 and 0.012, respectively), decreased fatigue and reaction time (RT) on congruent and incongruent trials of the Stroop test (p = 0.036 and 0.014, respectively), and increased hand-grip strength (p = 0.0004). There was a positive correlation between increases in pgACC creatine and changes in RT on Stroop congruent and incongruent trials (p = 0.048 and p = 0.022, respectively). Creatine was well tolerated, and none of the participants stopped treatment. Conclusion: Creatine supplementation over six weeks in ME/CFS patients increased brain creatine and improved fatigue and some aspects of cognition. Despite its methodological limitations, this study encourages placebo-controlled investigations of creatine treatment in ME/CFS.

hapl808

Interesting. I've tried creatine so many times over the years because there's so much good research. Monohydrate, HCl, etc. Even back when I was just 'crashing' all the time but thought I could make myself stronger by working out harder. In recent years I've tried it, and can't say I've noticed any benefit - although I never took that high of a dosage.

SlamDancin

Interesting. I've tried creatine so many times over the years because there's so much good research. Monohydrate, HCl, etc. Even back when I was just 'crashing' all the time but thought I could make myself stronger by working out harder. In recent years I've tried it, and can't say I've noticed any benefit - although I never took that high of a dosage.
Same. Also I think it’s interesting that there was a benefit at six weeks, as even when things help us it never lasts that long it seems. Might be worth another try

Mary

Moderator Resource
I took a moderate dose of creatine HCL a few years ago, it helped a little with energy. I eventually just stopped it, trying to save money, I take so much other stuff, it gets quite expensive. But maybe I'll give creatine a try again . . . I could use more energy!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I think it can help exercise abit but nothing outstanding, that's if your at a stage you can exercise. But fir just basic energy and function for cfs, I can't say it helped.
I think it's probably not the fuel (creatine) that's the issue but the engine that uses the fuel.

Back