• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Since ME breathing rate significantly slower than normal/used to. Evidence of metabolic dysfunction?

leokitten

One ME symptom I’ve had since I fell ill is my breathing rate is significantly slower than normal and than I used to breathe before falling ill. I’ve not mentioned it before in a forum post but had been meaning to for a long time though kept forgetting. Has anyone else noticed this symptom?

I could also tell it’s very slow because my breathing rate is much less than my spouse’s and it didn’t used to. I would suspect one possible explanation is ME metabolic dysfunction since my body doesn’t use as much oxygen as before since cellular respiration is hampered.

Maybe another reason could be autonomic dysfunction or other ME related brain issues. I do not have POTS/OI but only other more minor autonomic changes due to ME.

My resting respiratory rate is 6-7 breaths per minute. Far slower than the adult normal of 12-20.

Last edited:

Sidny

Yes. This is one of my most overt issues and one of biggest concerns, my respiratory rate is significantly lower than pre illness. It was one of the first things I noticed at onset. Everyone in my immeditiate family including my 90yr old grandfather seems to have better respiration than I do.

I have yet to determine what's causing it or find a way to improve it. A few things I think maybe be at the root of the issue and maybe perpetuating it include some sort of phrenic nerve palsy, cardiac insufficiency/preload failure, cranial cervical instability, a cyst near my cerebellum compressing the part of my brain stem that governs my breathing function, mitochondrial issues pertaining to the Cell danger response/dauer state or perhaps a combination of the above.

I don't have POTS but definitetly some sort of OI. I also believe I have a form autonomic failure and small fiber nueroapthy based on other symptoms plus antibodies to myelin and ganglionic acetylcholine receptors.

A viral infection/infections with affinity for nervous system tissue triggered my Illness so just like in post polio syndrome or other encephalopathies Im not surprised an autonomic function like breathing took a hit.

Last edited:

Float

Whilst it may be a bad thing if it's a disease state. ....slow deep breathing helps to balance the autonomic nervous system and increase heart rate variability. So perhaps it's a good thing .