• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Since many of us also have MCS.....

Tammie

I just thought that you might be encouraged to know that a judge ruled in a lawsuit that work places in Detroit are to ban their employees from wearing fragrances of any kind to work. It was cited as an ADA issue. Though most of us probably do not live in Detroit, and many do not work, so this will not directly help us, it may help to get the word out and to educate more people.....and hopefully down that road other places will do the same.

willow

Sounds a real breakthrough. Amazingly encouraging.

A whiff of some fragrances and I'm struggling to stay to stay upright for most of the the rest of the day. Makes me wonder about the combined impact of the lower toxicity ones... well lower toxicity to me, but also the impact on 'healthy' people and especially children.

Very interesting!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Tammie! I am SO GLAD to hear this! Thanks for posting it.

2nd hand fragrance is just as bad as 2nd hand smoke.
It's a victory for those of us with MCS to have this recognized by a court, and to have fragrances banned--WOW! Very amazing.

willow

Many of the ingredients used in American frgrances are banned in Europe due to known toxicity.

I'm in the UK and didn't know this. Though I was aware that fragranced products are more widely used Stateside.

Even the ones used here are awful. We haven't progresed to cart wipes etc yet, but there is creeping increased usage and increased range of a whole plethora of fragranced horrors.

Dainty

Great to hear!

Okay, here's a link to a news article on it, for those interested.

According to the article, it will only affect three buildin s in Detriot: the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, the Cadillac Square building and the National City building. So it won't be the whole city of Detriot, but it's a strat!

Also, it isn't a ban on fragrences of any kind, but rather on strong fragrence. "Lightly scented" is still okay according to the ban.

I'm really glad to see this, though. Anything in favor of those with MCS in the legal arena is encouraging. Thanks for letting us know!

Tammie

Dainty, that's a different article than I saw..unfortunately I couldn't get the link to work for the one I saw.....the one I read made it sound like the whole city so this is a bit of a bummer to me; however, it is still a start, as you said

starryeyes

Great to hear!

Okay, here's a link to a news article on it, for those interested.

According to the article, it will only affect three buildin s in Detriot: the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, the Cadillac Square building and the National City building. So it won't be the whole city of Detriot, but it's a strat!

Also, it isn't a ban on fragrences of any kind, but rather on strong fragrence. "Lightly scented" is still okay according to the ban.

I'm really glad to see this, though. Anything in favor of those with MCS in the legal arena is encouraging. Thanks for letting us know!

There are only 3 buildings in use in Detroit.

lostinthedesert

Killer, Clown, Priestess
I have heard that this decision has brought some backlash and also ridicule of pwmcs in the press. No matter to me. Even the slightest hint of many natural, non-toxic scents can put me down for days. Recognition is good but there is such a long way to go. (posted on a beat up old cell phone from the open desert) S