• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simmaron’s ME/CFS Trial of Rapamycin – a Mitochondrial Enhancer – to Begin Soon

SWAlexander

Since Cort published this article, I felt encouraged to upload a reduced summary what I have collected on Myositis in the last 4 years.
https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/11/is-myositis-related-to-tlr3-and-atg-13.html

I have known since 2010 that I have both gene mutations TLR3 and ATG 13, (just one example) related to many different illnesses.
Since UNMH Neurology diagnosed me in 2008 with Myalgia my search for answers began and I asked: could ME/CFS be related to Myalgia, caused by bacteria or fungi?

My original question was: is Myositis ME?

Last edited:

Tammy

I don't think it is too uncommon for people with CFS/ME to have myalgia or myositis. All it really means is inflammation and pain of the muscle which a good many of us here have. I relate it to more of a viral cause over bacteria or fungi.

Murph

:)
Rapamycin targets MTor (reduces its activity). I've just been reading abit about obesity and they found that reducing the branch chain amino acids is very effective against obesity, and it also works by reducing mtor.

THis lab in the US has done some good studies, mostly in mice, showing if you take away branch chain amino acids from their diets fat mice get thin fast.

THis next chart shows how they fattened up some mice using the western diet (WD), then put them on various diets. The blue and orange ones are low amino acids and low branch chain amino acids.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ffdaf7ed1-483e-48f7-93c0-6727f267d0e5_459x225.png

They studied which branch chain amino acid was most important to remove and taking out isoleucine (Ile in the labels)was the most effective thing to do.
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd00b718c-f14a-4f58-9a16-985f12e836ee_770x430.png

it's not possible for people eating whole foods to avoid branch chain amino acids but if you were considering supplementing them, this might give you pause! (it may also suggest our modern diets are too high in protein).

SWAlexander

May I repeat that I like scientific evidence?
Still, I believe that tests on animals "studies, mostly in mice" are just one step.
However, the human genome is different from animals. We are omnivores.

Murph

May I repeat that I like scientific evidence?
Still, I believe that tests on animals "studies, mostly in mice" are just one step.
However, the human genome is different from animals. We are omnivores.
mice are omnivores.

But you'll be pleased to learn the lab that did that study in question is regularly publishing combined studies with a human trial arm. Of course you can't directly control the chow of people for a lifetime like you can with mice, so the studies are usually smaller, less specific, less long lasting, or all 3.

e.g.https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdf/S2211-1247%2816%2930733-1.pdf

we analyzed data from a randomized controlled trial (RCT) we
conducted to determine the health effects of PR (protein restriction) without calorie
restriction in 38 middle-aged overweight and mildly obese (base-
line BMI 30 kg/m 2 ) human males. The 19 volunteers random-
ized to PR were fed customized isocaloric 7%–9% protein
diets for an average of 43 days, while the 19 control subjects
consumed their usual diets, consisting of 50% more protein
per day
(Table S1). We measured physical parameters and
collected blood for metabolic analysis in patients after an over-
night fast, both at baseline and at a follow-up visit at the end of
the trial. As this was an RCT, some baseline parameters were ex-
pected to vary between the control and PR groups; our analysis
therefore focused on the changes within each diet group (within-
group p) and the differences between the changes seen in each
group (among-group p) (Tables 1 and 2).
Humans eating isocaloric PR diets, but not those in the control
group, showed very similar effects to mice placed on a PR diet,
with a significant decrease in body weight (2.6 kg), fat mass,
and BMI
(Table 1). We also observed a significant decrease in
fasting blood glucose levels, although there was no effect of
PR on the level of insulin; however, we observed a doubling of
levels of the insulin-sensitizing hormone FGF21 in subjects fed
a PR diet, with no change in FGF21 levels in the control group
(Table 2); a similar increase in FGF21 was previously observed
in humans fed a more severe PR diet (Laeger et al., 2014a). We
also observed a significant decrease in plasma levels of the three
branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)—leucine, isoleucine, and
valine—that are associated with insulin-resistance in humans

sb4

I have also been experimenting with low BCAA thanks to r/saturatedfat and Brad Marshal.

@Murph Have you add much success from it. It's still relatively early days for me but I have some sense its increasing metabolism.

Murph

I have also been experimenting with low BCAA thanks to r/saturatedfat and Brad Marshal.

@Murph Have you add much success from it. It's still relatively early days for me but I have some sense its increasing metabolism.
No, I've just been reading about it but haven't experimented yet. I did a vegetarian stint as a young man and that's when I got mecfs. I also believed I get benefit from whey supplementation, feeding the krebs cycle that way!
What works for a healthy person or even an obese person isn't necessarily what's going to work in us. I'm not even sure we all have overactive mtor, some could be too depressed.