• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sign the petition: Stop graded exercise therapy trial at University of NSW (Australia)

GlassHouse

Signed!

What drives me crazy is that doctors would face serious consequences for advising mitochondrial disease patients to undertake aerobic exercise as "therapy," but they are lauded for giving the same advice to CFS/ME patients who have an acquired mitochondrial dysfunction. Facepalm.

alex3619

My comment: Does GE help CF? Generally so. Not CFS however, the S is important, and definitely not ME. The latest evidence based update is that there is no substantive evidence that GET helps ME. We already knew that however. The PACE trial has affirmed the null hypothesis. Trials with substantive objective evidence have shown that either there is no benefit or patients get worse. There is no ethical, scientific or moral justification for this kind of study.

alex3619

I think we are at the point where its abundantly clear that anyone who reads the supporting literature for GET in CFS, and has the training to understand scientific papers, must conclude that GET is not justifiable in CFS, and completely unjustifiable in ME. To ignore this leaves me with three options to conclude about the GET proponent, but more than one can be correct:

1. They have biased allegiance to this therapy. This can be for many reasons.
2. They did not perform due diligence and actually investigate the literature.
3. They are not capable of even basic understanding of scientific papers. Some of the errors and faults, which invalidate the research supporting GET in ME and CFS, are very basic and obvious. Nobody who is not biased, and has the training, and reads the papers, can miss every one of the failures.