• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sick of the Medical Insurance Industry in US

Nielk

Derek Enlander:

"The insurance companies have been given the right to determine what they will pay, in some cases not pay for a medical service. A medical test that costs $200 will be reimbursed by an insurance company $20, another example they pay $1 for an injection, the syringe costs more! In order to dispute this you have to appeal to THEM for restitution.. Meanwhile the insurance company premiums to patients are increased . The system is broken that is why more and more doctors do not accept insurance"

This is a point of view from a ME/CFS doctor.
This is the reason that more and more doctors decide not to accept insurance because they can't afford to. The medical fees are fixed by insurance workers who probably don't even have a medical degrees. They just decide what they will pay for each visit, procedure, shots and medications based on the bottom line:THEY WANT TO MAKE THEMSELVES REAL RICH AT THE EXPENSE OF THE PATIENTS AND DOCTORS!!!!!!

While the fees that they reimburse the doctors goes down and down, the premiums for patients go up and up to the point that most Americans can't afford health insurance.
This is in the United Sates of America - which is a democracy with the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

PWCs are hit the most because the insurance companies don't even accept us as a legitimate diagnosis so we get very little coverage. This in turn directly affects our quality of life.

Who overlooks these insurance companies? Are there any checks and balances? Does the government see or care that these insurance companies are arbitrarily chosing what they will cover and for how much and they keep reducing the coverage while raising the cost to the consumer? Where is the fair trade act? or something like it. It just doesn't seem constitutional that they are just allowed to do whatever they want.

If we do get to lobby at congress, this is definitely an issue that needs to be raised.

It might be that in other countries the situation is even worse.
But, in the US, it's been going downhill for the past 20 years. Each year getting worse.

I remember that in in 1981, I had a very sick baby who was born with a congenital heart defect. We had medical insurance coverage from my husband's work and it covered whatever we needed for him. It covered the specialized doctor, the hospital stays, the medicines. It even covered nurses to watch over him at home and an oxygen tent over the crib.

If this were to happen today, we would have to rob a bank to pay for this.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
If you haven't noticed, the entire nation is on the verge of collapse. Destroyed by greed, stupidity and short sightedness. The only thing that will fix the problem is duplicating what just happened in Egypt. Your elected officials don't give a shit what you think, unless you have an extra few million bucks to stick in their pockets. And that goes for members from each of the dominant political parties.

Nielk

If you haven't noticed, the entire nation is on the verge of collapse. Destroyed by greed, stupidity and short sightedness. The only thing that will fix the problem is duplicating what just happened in Egypt. Your elected officials don't give a shit what you think, unless you have an extra few million bucks to stick in their pockets. And that goes for members from each of the dominant political parties.

What a sad state of affairs. We were meant to be an example of pure Democracy with Liberty for all.

markmc20001

Yep. Agreed. That pretty much sums in up in one concise paragraph.

Carrigon

One of my doctors is dropping my insurance at the end of this month. And I said, what am I supposed to do then? And the monster at his office said, anything that isn't covered, you will have to pay on your own. And I was like, NO. I said, anything that isn't covered I simply won't do. I can't afford anything. So that ends my visits to that doc. What good is insurance if they won't take it?

markmc20001

One of my doctors is dropping my insurance at the end of this month. And I said, what am I supposed to do then? And the monster at his office said, anything that isn't covered, you will have to pay on your own. And I was like, NO. I said, anything that isn't covered I simply won't do. I can't afford anything. So that ends my visits to that doc. What good is insurance if they won't take it?

Sorry to hear your situation.

Some of those insurance companies make it impossible to deal with them and I don't blame the doctors for dropping them.

On the bright side(albeit difficult to see), we could be sick poor and live in China or Egypt.