• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should PWME be driving?

L'engle

moogle
hi folks,

I feel pretty stupid right now. I'm a safe driver and only drive when I am relatively well. I made a navigation error while driving on the weekend that sent me an hour out of my way. I was fine with the mechanical processes of driving and was not unsafe to myself or others, but the secondary task of making sure I ended up where I needed to go took a nose-dive. I was driving at exactly the speed limit and with great care for my immediate surroundings, you know, making a special effort to prove to myself that I could do things smoothly and cautiously. I think it's hard for healthy people to understand how this type of error can happen to someone who is otherwise not a bad driver. I've never been in an accident or had a ticket of any kind.

It's tough because being able to drive on the highway has been something that I have really struggled with making myself do in trying to assert some autonomy in my life. It seems like when I try to prove to myself that I can do something in my life there is usually some occurrence related to cognitive functioning that only serves to make me doubt myself further. I don't feel like I can talk to healthy people about this because they will imagine I was driving badly or falling asleep at the wheel, neither of which is the case. The last thing I want is other people doubting me.

Thanks if anyone can relate.