• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should i get this mri tomorrow of brain?

Mouse girl

Oh, I hope you do get it. It's rare that someone can afford to get such a thing done, so consider yourself to be in a very prestigious position to do so. Who knows? Maybe you have something treatable? I had a friend who is rich and he wanted to get an MRI done, so he got one, they found a brain tumor. He just had some minor things going on and it was a big help for him to have this caught early. I had a doctor suggest getting an MRI when I was first ill but I couldn't afford one. I would have been so happy if I could have gotten one as the doc thought I might have a brain tumor. If the doc could get it covered and approved, I would say, go in and get it if you can. I don't think doctors make any money from ordering MRIs unless he owned the machine himself and I've never heard of that. To think that docs only order tests to make money is kinda part of the whole anti science, anti western medicine but if it's a regular doctor who doesn't have some wierd clinic that claims they can cure fibro and cfs/me with their own lab and machines, it would have to be ligit in order to get the MRI covered by insurance. It's not an easy thing to do. What usually happens is docs want to get an MRI covered but insurance won't do it and then it's too late to help the patient when they find out that oh yes, they do have a treatable brain disease or tumor etc.

Booble

Went to neuro. Thought seizures, but he said he thoght anxiety. Then he ordered brain wave mri. But like, what will that theoretically accomplish.

If the doctor thought anxiety then I think he ordered the MRI to prove to you that it's nothing else. I don't think I'd do it without talking to the doctor further on if he really thinks it's necessary.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@bensmith
Have you reconsidered the brain MRI? Maybe talk to your Dr for further clarification and a little reassurance?

I agree with @Mouse girl .... if it's mostly covered by insurance, it can be a valuable thing to have in your arsenal, including its ability to shut down some diagnostic avenues / assumptions that are even less appealing ....

JES

I experienced a remission of my symptoms for a day after I had a brain MRI done a couple of years ago. I don't think it was placebo, since it was completely unexpected and I only realized the connection the next day. So if you can make it there without symptom increase, there is at least a small chance being in the MRI scanner may actually do something to ease symptoms.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
If the doctor thought anxiety then I think he ordered the MRI to prove to you that it's nothing else. I don't think I'd do it without talking to the doctor further on if he really thinks it's necessary.
Having the test done is a good idea to exclude common causes that cannot be checked any other way. Then drop that doc and find a better doc if they insist he is fine. Most of us have had to doctor shop becasue of useless doctors.

If he has encephalitis or a tumour or infarct or brain lesions or chiari or brain shrinkage or any of a whole host of other imageable conditions it would be great to either find them and get treatment or exclude them and keep looking for the real cause.