• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shortness of breath that does not go away

Mrparadise

Dear PR

5 days ago I went to see some friends without wearing a mask (I have been vaccinated for the first time 3 weeks ago). Unfortunately two of my friends (brothers) have a cough but they have it since 3 weeks and are otherwise healthy. Both did a test (rapid self test) and it came out negative (I cant be sure that they did it the right way though). Now 5 days later I have a congested nose and phlegm in my throat (no cough [yet]). The problem is that since today I am affected by shortness of breath (started 8 hrs ago). Surely, I am a highly anxious person and sob could be partially caused by anxiety. However, normally it stops after some hours if it is related to anxiety. It is strange though that my oxygen levels seem to be normal (95-98). I went to see my gp before and there were no elevated inflammatory markers in my blood. He as well listened to my heart and my lung and both seemed to be fine. I am lying on my couch at the moment and even now I am feeling as if I am not getting enough oxygen. I took something to lower the acidity of my stomach (gerd) and ventolin (seasonal allergy) but they did not provide me relief. My pulse is pretty high and my nose fully congested. Also my stomach feels strange (pressure with slight nausea after eating).

I did a corona test right now and it was negative but I am planning on doing PCR tomorrow to combat the anxiety (I hope that it will be negative). Right now I am really desperate because I am too anxious to sleep because I am afraid of suffocation. Is there maybe a link to POTS/CFS that we get extreme SOB if we get sick (cold, influenza virus, bronchitits)? Or do you think that this has to be covid and I should visit the hospital if it gets worse? Also I am thinking about trying low dose of clonazepam to see wheather it gets better and if it is mostly related to my anxiety. I have to say though that when I walked up the stairs before it got much worse (as well as when I was wearing my FFP2-mask).

I am affected by sob a lot but normally it starts in the evening and it gets better after some minutes or a few hours. Right now it is even present when laying down flat..

I really need your advice because I am losing my mind...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards.

ljimbo423

It seems possible that you could have Covid but I would say highly unlikely given the people you were exposed to and you all 3 tested negative. Could it be a ME/CFS flare or PEM?

I often feel like I have a cold or a flu when I get a flare or PEM. But it never lasts more that a day or so.

I did a corona test right now and it was negative but I am planning on doing PCR tomorrow to combat the anxiety (I hope that it will be negative).

I think this is a good idea. This will let you know with a high degree of accuracy.

nerd

Some users suggested amber acid to regulate the hypoxia gene since this is affected by CFS/ME pathology and viral infections. But this only works if it's not a macrocellular issue in the lungs or from the hemoglobin transport.

It can also be a neuromuscular issue (which happens most dominantly during PEM) in that the smooth airway muscle tone is too low and takes a lot of energy from you to get sufficient air into the lungs. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors would work in this case. You could try Huperzine A, though this works better in the brain than the muscles. Everything else has to be prescribed. You could test this by breathing out against resistance, holding your nose so that only a little air comes out, slowly breathing out. In case the smooth airway muscle tone is too low, the pressure in the lungs would be too low. This alleviates this by increasing the pressure in the lungs. If you immediately feel better, it could be this.

For COVID-19, Ivermectin should help, no matter which phase of the disease. Any over-the-counter pain-killing blood thinner would also help to reduce the thrombotic risks.

PCRs are only sensitive in the very early phase. If your insurance covers it, antibody tests might also indicate if there was a previous exposure and triggers a post-COVID condition. Many long haulers don't have positive PCRs or antibodies though. As soon as your blood oxygen drops below 90, it's definitely a hospitalization case. You could try to intentionally breathe normally for a certain period and see if the oxygen drops noticeably. This can be tested by cheap pulse oximeters.

In the case of hospitalization, I would try to get cyproheptadine and Ivermectin. The evidence for these two drugs is more than strong.

hapl808

I also don't know your age and sex (more likely for young and male I think), but there's some rare vaccine related myocarditis that could give some of those symptoms (normal oxygen, shortness of breath feeling, etc). I'm not sure if just an echo would see if any issues there. (I've had an echo done before and much easier than an MRI or x-ray.)

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm wondering if there is a food in your diet that is causing this. I hardly ever get shortness of breath anymore unless I cheat on my allergy diet.

My allergy doctor said everything is cumulative and if it's pollen season where you are, you may also have cross allergies that may be ramping it all up for you right now.

For instance, I can eat apples in the winter but if I eat them during birch pollen (cross reaction) season they make me itch.

Here's a website that talks about foods that can cross react in pollen season: https://www.verywellhealth.com/melon-allergy-82834

Also look for other exposures like chemicals or molds that have recently started around you.

hapl808

Good point - I have a lot of environmental triggers that I'm aware of, and sometimes environmental triggers that I can't figure out. I'll often put on a mask and see if my shortness of breath gets better (then likely environmental allergen?) or doesn't improve (then maybe something else).

seamyb

Some users suggested amber acid to regulate the hypoxia gene since this is affected by CFS/ME pathology and viral infections.

Given that I get air hunger from B12 and that B12 and succinic acid are sort of related through succ-Co-A, do you have any possible theories here as to why b12 causes this?

Perhaps I would benefit from Amber acid...

nerd

Given that I get air hunger from B12 and that B12 and succinic acid are sort of related through succ-Co-A, do you have any possible theories here as to why b12 causes this?

Perhaps I would benefit from Amber acid...

I'm sorry, I have no idea how B12 could cause this.

vision blue

Couldn't just having both nostrils clogged make you feel like you can't breathe? It does to me, espcially when mucous is stuck in an odd place between nose and throat and I feel like i can't breath and reacth for my pulse ox meter but its still normal. Maybe you caught an ordinary cold (or other respitory thing- not around mold were you?) ? especially since all the friends or friends of frients have been coughing for a while. Seems like youre doing the right and responsible thing re covid- rapid and pcr and pulse ox monitering. I do like the myocarditis suggestion in the event its not just nasal stuifficness- Can't remember offhand how many peopel would get fever with that- so add to your regimen maybe keeping track of body temp along with the pusle ox