• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Short term memory problems

Sorry if this is already been addressed, but I can't find a recent thread on it specifically or maybe i'm too brain dead right now.

I'm trying to make sense of how to get myself to plan my day easier, and just have it organised in my head so i'm not sitting around trying to decide what I'm doing all the time as a starting point! While working on something I realised that it really only takes one quick thought to distract me from what I'm doing, and even in those few seconds I forget what I was originally doing then I have to think for 5-10 seconds to recall, even when the diary I was trying to organise was literally in my lap. ( I realised once I eventually looked at it that that's what I was doing.) It seems I need prompts for everything, and getting out of the house is a pain because I forget what I'm getting on the way to other rooms or if I get distracted by anything, I can never remember what i'm doing when someone else is in the room talking to me and interrupting my train of thought, and tasks take forever as I'm always having little distractions! Conversations can be horrible as I always forget what people just told me until prompted. Occasionally I outright forget doing something at all. I can commit something important to memory however so I'm not missing too many appointments.

Does anyone have current articles on managing this issue? And is it well covered by ME diagnosis, or more likely to be autoimmune related that I should be mentioning or flagging to a rheumy/neurologist? I have autoimmune markers/clinical signs so I'm looking into that, but also have to learn to manage these things plus know what to mention to which doctor!

perchance dreamer

My short-term memory problems are not as severe as yours, @muso94, but a supplement did help me get a lot better over time. It's Longvida formulated with vitamin C. This is not my brand, but here's one available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Ma...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

My nutritionist recommended taking it with Progressive Labs Memories with Seanol-P, but that product has NAC, which gives me insomnia. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-...124&sr=8-3&keywords=progressive+labs+memories

Since I can't take the Memories product, I take one of the most effective ingredients by itself, the Seanol-P. It helps reduce neuroinflammation. I take it before bed because I find it very relaxing:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-...68366&sr=8-1&keywords=progressive+labs+seanol

Good luck!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@muso94
On my really bad days, I pick a time the night before when I'm relatively focused (this is open to wild variations) and I put together a list of things I need or want to accomplish the next day. I don't try to prioritize them because that would be beond my limited abilities at the time.

The next day I just pick the one that seems like the biggest fire, and I immediately label it #1.

If I forget what I'm doing, which happens fairly frequently on my bad days, I check the most recently listed number, and if there are no numbers after that I figure that was what I was doing when I lost track. Not fool-proof, but it really helps. If I forget to number an item when I start addressing it, I can usually follow the string and find something that sounds familiar and pick up from there.

Hope this helps, it's really helped me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually stumbled across turmeric a while back as it was in the bargain bin and said it was an anti-inflammatory. I wanted it for a sore elbow from overuse and found it helped with my mood and focus haha. So that was a bit lucky, I just look for brands that have the most curcurmin and max bioavailability but i'll definitely check out this brand. I have not heard of the other two so I will definitely look into them. I could definitely use something to relax before sleep!

And thanks YippeKi, I will have to find a system that works for me. I think simplifying is key as I always have an overly complex list, and it might be a lot to do with habit building too. I have a bunch of notepads and a diary but do not stick to one and keep it in the same place, funny how these little things can trip you up. I reckon my system has always been to do things when I think of them, and it's just not working for me anymore clearly!
I will try your way and see how it goes, then I can write my optimistic list but have a realistic system in place so I actually end up doing the most important thing/s instead of getting overwhelmed. And only one notepad to be kept it at my writing desk or something so I don't lose track of it!

I just feel pretty stupid whenever I try to explain how little I've done, or why that really important thing that I should have done (like book flights) I still haven't sorted out because I have been a little indecisive about something and haven't had the energy to think through it.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I can write my optimistic list but have a realistic system in place so I actually end up doing the most important thing/s instead of getting overwhelmed. And only one notepad to be kept it at my writing desk or something so I don't lose track of it!
I keep it really simple, sometimes crossing things out when I see the list has gotten too long and confusing, and I try, as best brain function at the time allows, to limit it things that I either want to get done, or have to get done.

I keep it on the back of the page I use to track food, times, supps, etc, on a regular yellow legal pad. It's my bible and go-to for everything. Why am I suddenly feeling crappy? I check the front of the page for what I've ingested, and when. What is that thing that I absolutely didn't want to slip by me today? I immediately flip the page, and there on the back are all the things I still haven't done, or the few that are numbered, then crossed out indicating that whether I remembered doing them or not, I have a handy reminder that, yes I did. I always keep it in exactly the same place, and that's the one thing I can remember to do without prompts.

Works pretty well, except on days like today, when I don't give a flying quack and just need to veg. Well, not so much need, more like I'm incapable of doing much else. It happens.