• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shingles, Postherpetic Neuralgia, and NMDA receptor

Violeta

I am pretty sure this study should supply me with enough information to figure out how to relieve postherpetic neuralgia. But I don't understand very much of it. If anyone has input, I would appreciate it.

Involvement of Tyr1472 Phosphorylation of NMDA Receptor NR2B Subunit in Postherpetic Neuralgia in Model Mice

Sawako Unezaki, Atsushi Sasaki, Tamaki Mabuchi, ...

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1186/1744-8069-8-59

Based on data they had obtained by using this mouse model, Sasaki et al. recently suggested that herpetic and postherpetic allodynia are mediated by nitric oxide (NO) in the dorsal horn and that inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and neuronal NOS (nNOS) are responsible for herpetic and postherpetic allodynia, respectively. Many studies including ours have demonstrated that activation of the NMDA subtype of glutamate receptors and subsequent NO production is a fundamental event in neurotransmission and synaptic plasticity in pain transmission in the spinal cord. Garry et al. demonstrated that the VZV-induced pain state is attenuated by intrathecal administration of an NMDA receptor antagonist and that the profile of VZV infection-induced phenotype changes in dorsal root ganglia (DRGs) are similar to those in other neuropathic pain models. We showed earlier that an increase in nNOS activity associated with Tyr1472 phosphorylation of the NR2B subunit in the superficial dorsal horn of the spinal cord reflects the neuropathic pain state even 1 week after nerve injury

Violeta

I did find this about bacopa monnieri.

Bacopa monnieri Extract (CDRI-08) Modulates the NMDA Receptor Subunits and nNOS-Apoptosis Axis in Cerebellum of Hepatic Encephalopathy Rats

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4564645/

"Hepatic encephalopathy (HE), characterized by impaired cerebellar functions during chronic liver failure (CLF), involves N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) overactivation in the brain cells. Bacopa monnieri (BM) extract is a known neuroprotectant. The present paper evaluates whether BM extract is able to modulate the two NMDAR subunits (NR2A and NR2B) and its downstream mediators in cerebellum of rats with chronic liver failure"

" Moreover, treatment with BM extract reversed the NR2A/NR2B ratio and also normalized the levels of nNOS-apoptotic factors in cerebellum of those rats. The findings suggest modulation of NR2A and NR2B expression by Bacopa Monnieri extract to prevent neurochemical alterations associated with HE."

(I guess that is a good thing with respect to postherpetic neuralgia, too.)