• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe ME: I had to fight the people supposed to help me

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Severe ME: I had to fight the people supposed to help me

Sam (*not her real name) is a teenager living in Australia’s largest city without access to treatment to help her. Sam was prescribed graded exercise therapy (GET) and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) repeatedly. After doing GET, Sam became housebound. Sam now has very severe ME and says even having a person enter the same room is “unbearable”. Despite having classic ME, she was taken to a psychiatric ward where she was threatened and kept from seeing her family. Here is her story......

Speaking out
I want people to know that this happened in Australia, in the middle of one of the most developed cities in the world in 2018. It is still happening. And although it is undoubtedly painful to remember, the actions of others do not define us, nor do their brutality, and it is important not to protect it by not speaking about it, discussing it and delivering the message that people are being treated horrifically.

Last edited:

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
A very brave person, indeed. God bless her with health and strength, with new wisdom and insight, and every blessing. :angel: