• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

" seropositivity for multiple herpesviruses was associated with a higher incidence of (pre)diabetes" 2022

Rufous McKinney

I don't really understand how 98% of us have this Eppstein Barr virus- yet the virus is considered to contribute to problems most of the 98% will never experience.

Its really strange to live in a world with alot of science, yet there is close to virtually no interest in any particular individual and the symptoms their body produces.

so which of these viruses have I had? The system in the US at least, does not care.

"They Gave you the Wrong Epstein Barr Test" is the result of my fabulous insurance.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
so which of these viruses have I had? The system in the US at least, does not care.
A big plus I see in American's that post blood work, is they can actually get viral titres tested and if you have high igg titre levels, many drs recognise it as a chronic infection.
In Australia there's no viral titre levels tested and when testing igg it's either positive or negative. If positive, it's just an old infection.
The high viral titres can help put you into a subgroup and a target to try and treat.

But definitely needs to be more research on these viruses and how they impact other conditions. It's almost seems like they stopped researching ebv in 1980 and think they have all the answers. EBV was only discovered in the 1960s, not that long ago.

pattismith

an older study (2005) already found a similar link between HSV1 and T2D:

An Association of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Infection With Type 2 Diabetes​

Although the primary cause of type 2 diabetes is unknown, two breakthroughs have been made regarding its development (1).

First, insulin resistance in muscle is the earliest detectable defect in people in whom type 2 diabetes will later develop.

Second, β-cell function has to be abnormal before hyperglycemia develops. One of the risk factors for diabetes development might be virus infection (2)

CONCLUSIONS​

A significant association of HSV-1 infection with type 2 diabetes was found in the present study. All subjects were hepatitis C virus antibody seronegative, so the confounding relationship between hepatitis C virus infection and type 2 diabetes can be excluded.
Chronic inflammation is involved closely and early on in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes (10,11). Viral infection of the pancreas, but not islets, can lead to induction of Fas on β-cells, which renders them susceptible to Fas/Fas-ligand-mediated apoptosis and resulting in a significant degree of clinically manifest diabetes (12). HSV-1 DNA might reside in surviving HSV-1-infected mice in a “latent” state in pancreas (13). HSV-1 infection can cause the pancreas multiple small foci of hemorrhagic necrosis in humans (14) and could induce the production of cytokines and inflammation response (15,16).

Additionally, levels of cellular ATP and lactate and mitochondrial membrane potential are decreased at the late stage of infection with HSV (17). Synthesis of mitochondrial proteins and phospholipid synthesis in mitochondria in HSV-1-infected cells progressively decreases (18), which could be associated with dysregulation of intramyocellular fatty acid metabolism and insulin resistance.

The inflammation related with abnormal function of β-cells and mitochondrial dysfunction after HSV-1 infection might be helpful to elucidate the association of HSV-1 infection with type 2 diabetes observed in this study.
This finding is not consistent with the assumption that diabetes leads to HSV-1 infection, because among several pathogens thought to be involved in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular diseases, only HSV-1 infection, i.e., not Chlamydia pneumonia, cytomegalovirus, or HSV-2 (data not shown), is independently associated type 2 diabetes (present study). However, a new type-specific enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, based on recombinant gG-1, with a better specificity is warranted to further discriminate between HSV-1 and HSV-2 IgG (19). A prospective study is needed to demonstrate that HSV-1 infection associate with the subsequent development of type 2 diabetes.
In summary, the association of HSV-1 infection with type 2 diabetes further supported the notion that inflammation and virus infection might be the risk of development of type 2 diabetes.
https://diabetesjournals.org/care/a...An-Association-of-Herpes-Simplex-Virus-Type-1