• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sensation of being poked in the back with a broom handle - what is it?

PennyIA

Just following up on this... for background - I had this intermittently, but continuously worsened for YEARS before it got REALLY, REALLY (like can't breath for the pain bad) and even then it took about ten months of being seriously bad before it was discovered to be the sign that it was my gallbladder that needed to come out. Even then? The symptoms were considered 'referred gallbladder pain'. It stopped immediately after my surgery, but started to come back intermittently again about six months post-surgery.

I was about 18 months post-surgery when I got referred to acupuncture. Within 30 minutes during the first treatment the pain melted away - they were specifically working on the gallbladder area (even though it doesn't exist, supposedly the energy flow in that pathway still does). I've had three treatments now, and the pain still hasn't returned - although I occasionally get some 'soreness' almost like muscle fatigue in that spot. This remaining ache seems to be mostly posture-related.

Thankfully, for me, this has seemed to kick the issue at about two months post-starting treatment.

peggy-sue

Sounds like you had it really bad, glad to hear you're vastly improved.:)

(I'm terrified of needles, I'll stick with a pokey blunt broom handle :p - but all I get is occasional mild discomfort )