• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Selenium - a positive outcome

That one took quite a bit of digging; glad I could bring something out of the rabbit hole for others.

Grabbing toxins is a big tool that helps. I use a Zeolite spray that works great, been using that for over 10 years. Chlorella is another good one but make sure you use a brand that is not contaminated. I can give you names if you like.

Another big help is Lipid Replacement Therapy which sounds serious but is quite simple and really not that expensive. The lipids (fats) you use are those that comprise the cell membranes. Phosphatidylcholine is the lipid; you find this in Sunflower Lecithin and you can get a great big bottle for cheap (I use NOW). Sunflower not soy based.

Vitamin E as natural (not synthetic) is the 2nd key since it protects the cell membranes from oxidizing. It is technically known as protecting against lipid peroxidation. In other words, it cancels oxidants that attack the cell membrane. Of course, other antioxidants help as well. This and the PC help regenerate the cell membrane to make them more robust.

I just looked at some search results using Lipid Replacement Therapy and I see some modifications which include adding PhosphatidylSerine and something called GPC which is another phoso lipid.

So, by doing the LRT, it will add some buffers to the detoxification and of course, using the grabbers listed above should make it very smooth.

Be careful of Zeolite.
I requested copies of claimed approved study papers from the leading manufactures. The papers provided were week, using their own in house paid for studies involving a small sample range, and not independent.

Most forms of Zeolite contain aluminum. If you wish to go ahead with using it, be very careful to monitor your Aluminum levels frequently and simply drink a bottled mineral water containing high levels of Silica. Do not add Silica to water, it doesn't work the same way scientifically. This is based on the life long work and advice from the worlds best Aluminum scientist, Professor Chris Exley. Plenty of you tube videos of his interviews available for free. He helped me personally, and its hard to believe drinking a bottle of water high in Silica nearly every day can reduce levels of Aluminum from highest levels seen by a number of top doctors in several countries, to within normal range. I was skeptical, but had nothing to loose by trying. As Chris stated "we all need to drink water every day, so its easy enough to introduce".

Lipid Replacement Therapy
Look up Dr / Scientist Particia Kane and her Dr / scientist husband. Also, Kennedy Krieger Institute who may use the protocol.

Sunflower oil
On its own Sunflower oil does not function as a Phosphatidylcholine in true sense as does not cross the blood brain barrier. The same applies to most manufactured sold Phosphatidylcholine. Eating an egg has a better result. The only manufactured Phosphatidylcholine that does, is called PC. It was created by the Kane's and now sold through their company BodyBio. Lipid Replacement Therapy if undertaken professionally also uses their product. Be very aware of any cheap alternative.

Yes, start with a small amount.
yes...thats all possible.

except I know metals are involved because I can taste them.
Synopsis:
I just stumbled on a major discovery worth sharing. I developed acute inflammation in my foot and dosed my usual antioxidants. It really did not respond until I added selenium.

I would like to provide an update and a correction from a previous thread.
(1) Does Dietary Coenzyme Q10 plus Selenium Supplementation Ameliorate Clinical Outcomes by Modulating Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Individuals wi | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

I went into a major burp in my CFS (I have been tracking well (at least for a CFS person)).

I developed cracks in my heel from wearing boots, this happened before, and I applied lotions and it resolved. But this time it did not. I now suspect that there was an opportunistic infection (bacteria) which was left untreated (I never suspected it could have an infection, a duh moment for me).

I mistakenly applied synthetic lotions (another duh moment for me :) which caused the foot to go deeper into inflammation. We should avoid chemicals at all costs.

I never had pain like this one. On a scale of 1-10, it was a 15. I could not walk on the foot; I used a wheelchair and canes. I went to the Urgent Care and the doctor said it was cellulitis. Cellulitis is inflammation, the foot was swollen and red. She prescribed Keflex which is like penicillin. The problem did not resolve. I went to a podiatrist who examined it, took x-rays and shook his head. Some Prednisone helped for a short period of time, as you know, this is not always a good choice since it can alter other processes in the body. For example, my blood sugar spiked 100+ points.

I whipped out my trusted supplements which include my wide array of antioxidants; still no relief. I thought it was still infected and tried a number of my home remedies which have served me well in the past. No relief.

I hacked through my other supplements including minerals, vitamins etc., still no relief. I ran across an educational video about patches that are applied to the wounds (foot had developed red cracks which were super sensitive). The video explained how chronic inflammation gets out of control from excessive enzymes and the patch should help with this cascading inflammation. They did help somewhat but did not solve the problem.

I studied PubMed articles about these enzymes which are called MMPs and found that certain polyphenols could slow down this cascade of inflammation. For instance, white tea had some of the strongest polyphenols that could quench this inflammation. I made (and make) a cocktail of rich polyphenols which include white tea but also strong PP spices including green tea, cloves, red tea, cacao (unprocessed raw chocolate). I have used other PP mixes in the past which I credit for helping me.

My baseline PP mix has been organic turmeric, Ceylon cinnamon, paprika, ashwagandha and moringa. I put this in organic chicken broth. Chicken broth made a big difference for me along with collagen peptides. By the way, moringa is rich in sulforaphanes (found in broccoli sprouts). Sulforaphanes are critical for detoxification, immunity etc.

All of this helped somewhat but did not solve the problem. I went through another rampage of PubMed searches and looked up selenium. I found several articles with strong research showing how selenium relates to so many metabolic pathways. The one section of research has to do with selenium's ability to control the cytokines, it is the master controller. Cytokines are molecules that are sent out from the immune system, there are a number of cytokines and reading an immunologist make a statement that they really don't understand them made me feel somewhat better.

There is a class of cytokines that are pro-inflammatory. A pro-inflammatory cytokine is one that causes problems. Massive inflammation is their hallmark, and we all know the dangers of high inflammation. With high inflammation comes damage to the cells of the entire body, with that damage, comes loss of vitality. This is why antioxidants are critical since they stop the damage.

I started dosing with selenium at 400mcg per day (note that selenium can be toxic at higher levels). I am still doing my baseline antioxidants and other supplements. Within 2 days, the wounds (inflammation) are clearing up and pain has diminished significantly.

It is my understanding that selenium is the point man of the antioxidant system. Without adequate levels, the system will not function correctly. Of course, you cannot isolate one nutrient as being a causative factor since they synchronize with each other, but I would say that selenium would be on the top of the list.

These are pictures of my heel. The Left one is today, the Right is 4 days ago (prior to taking selenium)

View attachment 47461
Word of caution regarding Selenium especially if supplementing. Its very easy to overdose with Selenium. The survivable result is quite long lasting and puts people back in the beds they just got out. For an adult male, medium build, 6 Brazil nuts per day provide the top end of the spectrum. Keep a diary record of ones diet, look up and record the quantities already eaten before supplementing.

Wishful

From Google: "Does zeolite add aluminum to the body? The easy answer is: no. All zeolites are by definition “aluminosilicates” which means their chemical makeup is aluminum, silica and oxygen."

There's a difference between 'contains aluminum <or other toxic metal>' and 'contains biologically available aluminum'. If you have a sensitivity to aluminum, you need to be careful about the latter, but you shouldn't get stressed about the former.

May I suggest you don't use Google as a reference point. A very dangerous approach!

I am not "stressed" about anything to do with Aluminium. Im not the one ingesting Zeolites. I wrote as free advice for others, and from a factual basis of first hand experience.

I was advised by the worlds best scientist on the subject, before considering ingesting any form of Zeolites request independent human medical trial reports from any supplier before consuming. You won't find any!

As I previously mentioned, I also strongly suggest you contact those who have studied all forms of Aluminium's at human cellular levels, and for all their working lives. Those who have written numerous peer reviewed papers on the subject and proven their human cell based experiments.

Let the best experts in the world advise you, not random Google. I'm just the messenger, cautioning those who may undertake dangerous practices. Lets face it, the last thing most of you need is any form of Aluminium exposure of whatever form, guaranteed to keep folk in their beds for a very long time!

Wishful

As I previously mentioned, I also strongly suggest you contact those who have studied all forms of Aluminium's at human cellular levels,

All forms of aluminum compounds do not have the same potential for harm. An organic compound with an aluminum atom in it might cause biological effects. A weakly-bound compound, possibly. A strongly-bound one, such as aluminum oxide, is probably completely safe. Do any of those research papers claim there's a hazard from aluminum oxide or aluminosilicates? I expect that some forms of aluminosilicates might have some bioavailability, since there could be some with weak bonds. Aluminum salts and hydroxides can cause organic molecules to stick together, preventing their normal function.

All forms of aluminum compounds do not have the same potential for harm. I never stated they did! An organic compound with an aluminum atom in it might cause biological effects. A weakly-bound compound, possibly. A strongly-bound one, such as aluminum oxide, is probably completely safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please ignore the previous paragraph. It makes no sense as content has been deleted!

I 'Wish' you all well, and hope you personally meet the right people in the world to help you. They are out there, its possible to get well but definitely not from ingesting any form of aluminium.

Wishful

its possible to get well but definitely not from ingesting any form of aluminium.

That's not correct either. Even toxins can provide health benefits if used in the correct ways. It's not impossible that ME could be treated by using the right aluminum salt delivered to the right places to bind up some errant molecules.