• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SEIDS patients, What viruses have you tested positive for?

SEIDs patients, what viruses have you tested positive for (choose all that apply)?

• Epstein Barr Virus Positive

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Human Herpes Virus 6 Positive

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other viruses (please specify below as a post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of these

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hip

This poll has a number of issues:

First of all, unless you include answer options for both positive and negative test results, the poll results will not tell you much (in terms of what percentage of patients have each virus).

Secondly, it is necessary to define what you mean by positive and negative, because in ME/CFS, viral antibody test results are interpreted differently to the way they are interpreted by regular infectious disease (ID) doctors.

Thirdly, there are more viruses linked to ME/CFS than listed. The main ME/CFS-associated viruses are: coxsackievirus B, echovirus, EBV, cytomegalovirus, HHV-6, parvovirus B19, and also the intracellular bacterium Chlamydia pneumoniae. Other viruses possibly linked to ME/CFS include varicella and herpes simplex I and 2, and HHV-7.

By the way, I have not seen any medical or scientific authority take up the name SEID. Everyone is still calling it ME/CFS.

Last edited: