• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SEID and antidepressant failure

Wishful

Then it failed, and when it failed I was 10 times sicker than when I first went on it. I've been disabled ever since.

Maybe it allowed you to overexert without noticing the harm it was doing to you? There are drugs that can allow you to walk on a broken leg without feeling the pain, but that's rather counterproductive in the long term.

@MariaMagdalena, sorry to repeat, but swimming in the pool has a beneficial effect on my overall well-being in general and on my psyche in particular. I was also prescribed Paxil, Mirtazapin, and other antidepressants that did not help. I continue to search for medicines, but now regular pool visits save me. Maybe this will help you too.

MariaMagdalena

@yurybx Can I ask you how you pace yourself to allow for going to the pool? I have a Y membership that I haven't been able to use in over a month. I keep almost cancelling it, but then I don't because I love swimming so much that I keep hoping I can go again in the near future.

I also find it helps with depression blahs and brain fog. Its just that when a shower at home makes me crash, how can I do the pool, which A. requires 2 showers (before and after), the latter which requires vigorous scrubbing to get the chlorine off?

How do you keep able to go?

MariaMagdalena

I noticed the Y pool using more salt in recent months. Maybe they have switched over, I don't know. But regardless, even if they use salt it still entails more vigorous scrubbing in the shower because the salt irritates the skin also, then one has to put lotion on due to the drying. Again vigorous arm movement.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Saltwater doesn't irritate my skin. I used to live in an apartment community that had a saltwater pool. A quick rinse and it's off. However, I understand that swimming is a major ordeal for SEIDs patients. Even more for me because I can't tolerate much sun so I like to wear a T-shirt when I swim.

Wishful

There are many different salts in sea water, not just Sodium chloride.

I doubt that commercial pools would carefully match the salt balance of seawater; they probably just use sodium chloride. My comment about salt was just facetious. While sodium hypochlorite might be a temporary state of 'salt water', it does release some chlorine gas, which is what bothers some people. It might not be actually harmful at the level that we smell at a pool, but it can still be bothersome.

Rufous McKinney

While sodium hypochlorite might be a temporary state of 'salt water', it does release some chlorine gas, which is what bothers some people. It might not be actually harmful at the level that we smell at a pool, but it can still be bothersome.

Ok: so by looking up the topic, which I have no knowledge of, it appears that the salt water pool does in fact generate chlorine which is what is killing the algae and bacteria in the pool. Which your answer is apparently saying, if I had translated from chemistry 101.

https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/saltwater-pools