• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeing a dietician in a few days, advice?

brenda

Okay--in 2014 you said it was basically curing you, I believe. Not trying to put you on the defensive, but since it's two years later I wonder if you feel the same about it.

Yes it has been killing the Lyme, but the device l used was not getting deep enough into the tissues, apparently and l needed to do some more general healing to improve my immune system.

I am using a plasma tube now and it is much more powerful. I have no doubts that l will be fully clear of it this year but it takes time.

bigmillz

How do eggs sit with you? They have a lot of sulfur in the form of methionine, I think. I ask because this might be a helpful "poor man's" test to determine if the garlic/onion issue is sulfur or FODMAP-related...or both, I suppose, if you get some symptoms but not others.

Speaking for myself, I am a little leery of the idea of sulfur avoidance if the problem can be fixed by taking more molybdenum. I have a hard time seeing long-term avoidance of a nutrient as doing anything but causing problems.

I'm not saying that the body can't adapt to lower sulfur intake...the question (to which I do not know the answer) is how does it do this? Will you produce less taurine, glutathione, and metallothionein? Will phase II detoxification in the liver get backed up from lower-than-necessary sulfation? Or can we conserve sulfur in a more benign way?

Obviously I don't know a lot about this.

For what it's worth, I take 1500 mcg of molybdenum daily. I know some people consider that to be excessive, but it seems to work for me, and has for years. My last hair mineral analysis found no problem with molybdenum levels, and I haven't run into any "molybdenum toxicity" symptoms...in short, I think it's a good dose for me.

So there might be some other options.

I wish you the best with whatever experiment you end up trying.

I seem to tolerate them okay, but it's one that's hard to tell.

What you're saying is exactly what I'm thinking, I don't want to cut out a large group of foods because it seems to help, and experience issues down the road as a result. I mean, it could literally be 3 foods that happen to also be high sulfur. If I cut those out, I could reap all the benefits without losing nutrients (and frustrating myself by avoiding tons of other foods).

Thanks for your input.

bigmillz

I spent many years adjusting my diet, trying various ones, with some improvement going gf,/df/sf but not enough to make me feel that l had cracked it until l adopted the Terry Wahl's autoimmune paleo to heal my gut. No seeds nuts grains potatoes dairy and all meat grass fed 100% and a large amount of vegetables and now, even no bone broth, until for the first time, l sleep all night.

Yes it's tough but it should not be too long before l can reintroduce at least bone broth which will help them gut heal. Once you feel you are healing, it gives the motivation to continue.

I feel that it is most beneficial to concentrate on the Gut lining rather than other problems, well it has been that way for me. If you go for other things you end up eating unhealthy foods like white rice when we desperately need every mouthful that goes into our mouths to be nutrient dense.

Why do you say white rice is particularly unhealthy? I ask as it's in many of the dishes I order here (NYC). I try to control my portions though, so as not to eat 4 cups in a single serving.